rustyedges

As a long-time user, was excited to try out the new preview. Unfortunately, as a heavy keyboard user with years of muscle memory for my custom keyboard accelerators, I was just fumbling around not able to do much!

On Windows, I did find the following file after some digging...
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\TheBrain\InputBindings.txt

but only reveals a very limited set of shortcuts. Is this because is an early preview? For example, I'm not sure how to even jump between plex and notes with keyboard, let alone get to instant search box...which makes it near useless for me at the moment.

A bare minimum set of custom accelerators for me would include:

• thought types and tagging
  • adding/opening/removing attachments
  • working with selections

Will work with the new notes editor, but always wanted better keyboard shortcuts for editing as well.

And while I'm thinking about this...Ctrl+Tab between tabs like most tabbed interfaces would be good too. BTW, the multi-view/tab feature is the killer piece I've been waiting for.

mctrexler
No personal knowledge but I suspect this is one of those "will be added back in later in the process" things.  

Rustyedges, would you be willing to share a screenshot of your existing keyboard accelerators?  I have to admit I don't use them that much, but it may be that what I'm doing with TheBrain is quite different.  Would be interesting to see more examples of how a power-user is using accelerators!

Thanks!

Mark

rustyedges
Mark,

I exported my accelerators and then rearranged more logically, deleting the minor stuff and adding some notes. These are the key ones for me (no pun intended), although v9 will make some obsolete I think.

Let me know if you have any more questions.  I do mostly programming work, and use TheBrain extensively for documentation and project management, therefore the ability to constantly be editing and working with brain is key (thus my shortcuts for the selection, pinning, plex options, etc), and not taking my hands off keyboard - just as when in code editor - really adds up.

But I also use a single personal brain for my entire life, and all those habits help with ongoing "gardening" of that brain too. Click image for larger version - Name: Image_Capture.png, Views: 349, Size: 54.19 KB
mctrexler
Thanks!
Spacenexus
Rusty that's a great set, useful to see - some helpful ideas. Mark, I also attach the set that I use for info:

accc.png 

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
mctrexler
Cool!

Mark
dkbeauchamp
I've come to depend on my accelerators as well. Many of them have become second nature and without them I would almost have to relearn how to use The Brain. Thanks for sharing your setups Jim and Rusty.

Below is what I use, for your general interest. Only thing I haven't updated is that I am using F1 for instant activate.

ScreenHunter_2.jpg
rustyedges
Thanks for sharing everyone. I may have to adjust some of mine...some good ideas here.
Harlan
Mark, Rusty, Jim, and Dan,

Thank you for organizing and posting your keyboard accelerators. We are looking at these carefully as we work on this area of the software and will make sure that all of these things and more are also accessible via the keyboard in TheBrain 9. There are a few things that are no longer applicable and a few things that are easier in TB9 of course, but these lists have been very helpful.
Regards,
-Harlan
rustyedges
Had noticed the new additions in latest preview release.  I'll be using TB9 fully now, and looking forward to more!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software