schakwin
I am a lawyer and a lot of my work involves understanding the time sequence (order) and relationship (distance in time from one another) of events.
The Brain is a great tool for spreading events and facts onto a screen and finding relationships among them, but I haven't yet found a good, easy way to work the element of time (another relationship, of course, into this).
I've come up with a clunky workaround using calendar, but it's not easy and it's not good.
I suppose that another clunky workaround might be to create dates as thoughts and then do linking, but that won't generate a date sequence, much less a time one. Similarly, if tags were used to assign dates, the same problem would remain.
I think, as someone new to the application, that there's probably a way to integrate the tagging function with time and date and have that generate the sequential information. That seems easiest to me from the user end. What it's like from the developer end, I can't say.
Stephen

Adathome
It is on top in Personal Brain users-voice see:
http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/4597-personalbrain

Maybe you like this JFK example:
http://www.simile-widgets.org/timeline/
or for not lawyers
http://www.simile-widgets.org/timeline/examples/compact-painter/compact-painter.html

When the Brain people can make a new timeline view with all the (report selected) thoughts in a timeline as in this SIMILE Widget then a lot of PB users are happy.
Regards, Ad Divide knowledge = multiply knowledge (Windows 10 -  TB8 / TB9)
Adathome
dyslucksia wrote:
Okay, if you're going to use the Plex, Outline View seems to be the best way to go about it.

i agree using outline view is for now the best way for a time-line brain
hereby an example of the JFK time-line in PB (this is a quick translation of  Simile xml to Excel to PB-XML) see brainzip file below
Click image for larger version - Name: 29-9-2009_timeline.png, Views: 264, Size: 136.94 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 29-9-2009_Person.png, Views: 264, Size: 159.58 KB
Regards, Ad Divide knowledge = multiply knowledge (Windows 10 -  TB8 / TB9)
jostber
Much good suggestions here. As I see it the timeline is a kind of meta data for the entity, the thought. The thought now has two time parameters: The created time and modified time that can be found in the Details tab.

What we lack now is a meta field for the user created time. If we could use the label field as a place holder for the user created time, and then this field could be indexed by Instant search, it might be a useful solution. The thoughts could be sorted by the label field as an option. A way to show labels easily if wanted, should be available too.

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Darkstar
WOW! Some great examples and posts in this thread.

Thoughts ALREADY have a user supplied time--- when they are events (calendar thoughts). The problem is that EVENTS are so under-loved at this time. There isn't any way to get a list/report of your events. There isn't any way to show them, other then calendar. If the plex would just display events, then we'd be able to work with them like other thoughts. We'd be able to "attach" them to other thoughts (as they are done now), and be able to see them graphically--- we could tag them, and then create our own arrangments (although having a "Time" view where it would sort out all included Event thoughts automatically would be nice as well, and probably handle most time lining needs).
-Darkstar
Ervinn
Quote:

Much good suggestions here. As I see it the timeline is a kind of meta data for the entity, the thought. The thought now has two time parameters: The created time and modified time that can be found in the Details tab.

I agree, I see it the same way. This would be the simpliest to do.
Although, the Deatails tab may not be the best place for the users to modify the new date field.

Also addition to the new date field, there could be an additional check box for each Thought indicating if that that should or should not be displayed in front of the Thought name on the Plex. Plus there would be an additional sorting option based on the new date field. I don't think we need more complex timeline than that.

Quote:
If the plex would just display events, then we'd be able to work with them like other thoughts.

Because events are assigned to Thought, what we need is to indicate somehow if a Thought has an event assigned to it. I don't see events as other Thoughts, though.

Quote:
We'd be able to "attach" them to other thoughts (as they are done now), and be able to see them graphically--

Events are attached to Thought now. What missing is a global event list.

Darkstar
And Reports would then be able to list them, just like any other thought.

Internally, they are just a thought with a system defined type. So why not let us use them in that fashion? Be able to search on them, run reports on them, tag them, etc.
-Darkstar
jostber
Is this upcoming feature a possible solution for the timeline functionality?

http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/4597-personalbrain/suggestions/70182-node-types-with-structured-meta-data-?ref=title

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software