revrev
I've seen posts suggesting the use of regular expressions in the search bar but I would prefer to see the implementation of the same set of search operators as used in google search. Actually whilst I'm writing this, why not have this as a user preference - regexp or google search operators.

Google's site: operator restricts search to a specific domain so PB's parallel to this would be to restrict searching to all thoughts that were child thoughts to the specified thought on the site: operator.

The filetype: operator would restrict searching to attached files that had the appropriate file extension.

Regards

Trevor

dyslucksia
Which PB search engine are you considering? I assume Advanced Search? Both Instant and Advanced Search use different algorithms and wildcards.

I sense that the PB team's hands are tied when it comes to Advanced Search, since this appears to be a third party module added to PB. About all they seem to be able to do is update to the next version when it is released.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
revrev
I'm referring to the search field on the plex. Several features of 'Advanced search' could be implemented...

'All the words:' - use the AND operator
'Exact phrase:' - use quotes
'At least one of the words:' - leave as is with an implicit or explicit OR operator
'Without the words:' use the minus operator

Operators would need to be defined to restrict the search to Notes, Attachments etc.

Trevor

dyslucksia
Depends which search you choose after typing something into the Search Edit Box (at the LH bottom corner of the Plex).

As you type, "Instant Activate" aka Instant Search does an incremental search and displays results in the box above it. Since this is an incremental search, no Boolean modifiers are possible.

However, if you then press Enter or click Search, you invoke Extended Search (really just an Advanced Search where all boxes are checked), and Boolean searches ARE possible. For example, if you type in aaa AND bbb, Extended search will find all Thoughts that contain aaa and bbb in any of the search fields. Similarly you can have OR and/or NOT but all Boolean modifiers must be in upper case for this to work. Try it.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software