Surfsailwaves
Hi,

I'm a newbie on a Mac, using PB trial version and loving it.  Except...

My plan is to use internal attachments, and to copy these rather than move them. Yes I want to "copy" not "move" my attachments.   When (as happens often) I forget to "Option Drag" and so move instead of copy, I run a big risk of losing my all-important attachment.   I have got to the point of paranoia, that I make a full backup before attempting the attachment.   I have managed to get in a mess, with multiple attempts.

The File > Utilities > Statistics tells me that I still have 22 External attachments.  The Reports (Filter set to Normal) indeed finds 22.  But when I hover the mouse over the entire visible Brain, I cannot find any of these thoughts with external attachments.  If I could locate them, I would convert them. 

What is going on?  

Worse, when I drag key files to Dropbox (and again forget the all-important Option) I find that I have lost my data, (it's gone from my HD).  Instead of backing it up!

Please tell me there is an easier (safer) way to manage my important attachments.

Thanks,

SSW

Shugi
Hi!

Quote:
The File > Utilities > Statistics tells me that I still have 22 External attachments.  The Reports (Filter set to Normal) indeed finds 22.  But when I hover the mouse over the entire visible Brain, I cannot find any of these thoughts with external attachments.  If I could locate them, I would convert them.  

Click on one of the results in the reports list. The thought with the external attachment should be now in the center of the Plex. 

Quote:
Worse, when I drag key files to Dropbox (and again forget the all-important Option) I find that I have lost my data, (it's gone from my HD).  Instead of backing it up!

Thats quite weird. Does it only happen with your dropbox folder?

Surfsailwaves
Thanks Shugi,

Right clicking on the thoughts with external attachments and using > Copy File into Brain leads to "File not found" (Likely because I have lost it owing to my moving stuff that I intended to copy....).

The workaround is of course to delete the though and do everything twice...

Quote:

The biggest hassle in migrating to a Mac has been the lack of a cut, copy and paste in Finder...

Shugi
Quote:
Right clicking on the thoughts with external attachments and using > Copy File into Brain leads to "File not found" (Likely because I have lost it owing to my moving stuff that I intended to copy....).

i am stating the obvious here, but still: tried to use finder-search for the documents? maybe they are just moved? Have you already looked in the Trash if they are there?

Quote:
The biggest hassle in migrating to a Mac has been the lack of a cut, copy and paste in Finder

Which OS are you using? Here on 10.6 copy/paste of files in Finder works fine. (might be even a workaround for you - open the Brains thought folder ...

And against that paranoia ...  maybe try "Hazel"  for automatically copy files dropped in the DropBox folder into a second "backup" location ... 

Surfsailwaves
Thanks for the nice Hazel tip - automation is the way to go - I had not heard of this tool,  it looks good...almost familiar.  

A search for Hazel in the Mac App Store leads to a similar-sounding product:  AutoFiler.   Decisions, decisions...

Another Mac grumble is having to fork out for what are pretty basic tools... e.g. I cannot live without A Better Finder Rename...

Regards,

ssw

Shugi
Well, i am using Macs now since more then 15 years, if you want some ideas / advise dont hesitate to ask via PM or here (but better dont hijack this forum for Mac-only-stuff i guess)

Because of your questions i will later try to work on some Hazel scripts to backup every file thats moved into a brain .. dunno if its possible, but will give it a try, might be a nice backup-solution.
zenrain

Another +1 for Hazel, it's indispensable. Another automation tool you may want to take a look at is Keyboard Maestro, I believe it has macros specifically for Windows Switchers too (including cut functionality).
Oh, and Launchbar.

One of the workflows you could take a look at is keep the file in your documents folder and create a symlink (symbolic link) to the file. It's like a shortcut, but at a lower level in the OS, so Drobbox reads it as the actual file. This way you don't have file duplication, but have access to the file in both Dropbox and your Documents folder. I haven't tried that for PB attachments, but it may work there also.

You can either create a symlink by using terminal, or by using a 3rd Party software that makes it easier (I generally use Launchbar to do it, but also use Forklift sometimes).

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Shugi
Here are the rules for Hazel to copy every new attachment which has been put into a brain automatically into a folder on the HD. The files are put into subfolders named after the date they were added. This way you get an automatic extra-backup copy of your brain-files on your HD.

You need to apply those rules to the files folder of your brain. Output folder is right now set to be a folder named "test" on the desktop

@zenrain:

Are you using Keyboard Maestro for PersonalBrain? I am just wondering what might be worthwile to try with it during a demo-test or so ...

+1 on Launchbar, although there are some similar apps out there - its a matter of personal preference i guess, Quiksilver is for example free and a nice alternative.

zenrain
@Shugi
No, not yet. Just started using it (I picked it up during the productivity bundle), and I've been concentrating in other areas so far.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Surfsailwaves

Hazel, Keyboard Maestro, Launchbar and Forklift - I had no idea that these Mac tools existed.  Of course I now want them all...

Big thanks to

@shugi
@zenrain

for valuable pointers.

ssw

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software