joshsullivan
Hello,

I am looking for some advice/answers to questions related to an new brain I want to set up.

I have about 270 text files which are very small notes about articles (usually the link to the article, and a one sentence summary) I've read by certain authors in a DEVONthink database, it's one of the last note databases I have in DT, everything else has been moved into TheBrain, so I want to move these text files into TheBrain.

My issue is this, I am thinking of structuring the brain under two different types of parent thoughts. One is the author of the article and the other are tags about the article. I won't be using tags because they are rather hard to navigate through on the iOS version, which is where I do most of my navigating and opening of the articles.

The author parent tags will be simple, the most one author parent will have is 10 child thoughts. The "tags" thoughts will be more challenging, because the largest will have around 130 child thoughts.

1. I'm wondering if 130 child thoughts plus additional over time will impact performance and I should be looking for another way to structure this type of data.
1.A. If I should find another way to structure it, how would you recommend structuring it?

Cheers,
Josh
TheBrain 11 Alpha Channel
Windows 10 2004 Enterprise
shinyplastic
Hi,

I wouldn't be so worried about performance, but your ability to scroll through and navigate 130+ child thoughts might be a problem (particularly in iOS).

I too don't use tags that much, most links have parent / child / sibling relationships and the text might be best copied into the notes (rather than link to a .txt file).  I am a bit old school and like the links in the thoughts (so I can just click it even when it's distant), but the newer brains allow links in the notes text.

If there are some type of articles / research, Authors is one good way (if you end up with too many then split by alphabetical), but I don't know if you can break down the taxonomy of the subjects? enough to get children under about the ~10 mark I find best for navigation.  This also tends to expose sibling 'links' between topics. 

For me personally I use search 70% of the time to get close to what I am after, and then navigate from there.  So my guiding principle when I create a through is what is the first thought that comes into my head for this item (so I can find it again), I might also have a second parent / sibling to a more logical name that fits my overall taxonomy to try and link all thoughts to a parent.  But there are many ways to do it, and that's the magic of the Brain set it up to work best for you!

Probably the best way is to have a play (even with dummy thoughts) and just see what works best desktop/iOS for you?
mcaton
I agree with Matthew. A grouping of 130 thoughts all under one parent would be a lot for me. I would find a way to break this down in groups of 8 - 10 sub categories if possible.

As far as performance, the more thoughts that are on the screen at one time, the more resources that are required.  I wouldn't think displaying this many thoughts at once would be a problem, but it does depend on the capabilities of your OS.  

For a fun test of Brain scale-ability, I would recommend checking out Jerry's Brain. 

https://www.jerrysbrain.com/

300,000+ Thoughts and I'm sure he has come areas with 130+ child thoughts.  Yes, this is in the web client, not the desktop version... but you'll get the idea.

Thanks,
Matt
ruudhein
With so little in yet I wouldn't worry about performance. Remember, you can always change things later.

In programming thinking about optimization this early, and assigning resources to it, is known as Premature Optimization.

Pasted Image.png 
Using: Evernote | Filterize | Roam Research | Feedly | Save Page WE | TheBrain v11.0.91.0

(Windows 10)
metta
@shinyplastic ~ Definitely agree with this comment:
I use search 70% of the time to get close to what I am after, and then navigate from there.
-- Of course, I try to zero in a little  closer than this in my search, but realistically 70% is usually what happens....

@ruudhein ~ Definitely enjoyed this comment:
> Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
-- However, I certainly understand and sympathize with Josh's desire to avoid rework on large chucks of files, if at all possible.

@joshsullivan ~ This may be a silly question that reveals I've not understood your objective, but what navigational or relational consideration(s) would prevent you from eventually consolidating some of these 130 notes on child thoughts, or even secondary notes, for each author?

joshsullivan
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

After the input, I'm thinking alphabetic split into nine groups, although I might switch it later.

@shinyplastic - Thanks, I'll be going with alphabetical sub sorting then under than possibly a numbered sub sort.
> (if you end up with too many then split by alphabetical)

@metta - Each of those 270 text files contain a document name (thought name) and text in the document (thought notes). Each file is about a different article/blog post so that the thought notes will contain a link to the article (eventually added as an attachment to the thought) and a brief or long summary of the article/post. Which, unfortunately, means there isn't more consolidating I can do at this point.

@ruudhein - I usually agree with this line of thinking, except in the case of moving pre-grown data from one repository to another, as is my current situation.

I think I can make this work as long I stick to strict linking relationships.

Thank you all again for your input!

Cheers,
Josh
TheBrain 11 Alpha Channel
Windows 10 2004 Enterprise
mctrexler
I would love to figure out what the number of child thoughts is that causes either the desktop or the web client to start to significantly slow down.  I'm almost positive that the number is well below 100, and I'm tending towards a max of 50. Not because it might not be better to go lower, but because it's just impractical to do so when it comes to the 115,000 thoughts in the Climate Web.    

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software