Kirby
Afaik, this is new with v. 10.  In v. 9, Tags were limited to a flat list (again, afaik).

• How are you assigning the hierarchical relationships?
  • Why are you/how are you using this to better your Brains?

Slight follow-up: I had been using a special character prefix for some Tag Names.  TheBrain parser does not recognize these Tags when I start typing in the New Thought Name dialog.  The special character I used is ⪡ (that's a double-nested less-than).  I used the double-nest greater than as the final character of the Tag Name.  Example:  ⪡ImportantThing⪢.  If I create a new Thought and type "Imp" all my Thoughts and Tags and Types with the string "imp" are instantly found ... but not ⪡ImportantThing⪢.  
--Kirby.
metta
Kirby ~

You are correct: Nested tags are new in TB10 -- and they are, for me, a welcome feature! ðŸÃƒÃ‚¢ÃƒÂ¢ÃƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Â¦Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¾ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Å¡ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¡

The way you create nested tags is actually quite simple.
> Make active the tag you'd like to link as a child.
> From the top gate of a new or existing tag, simple link (as a parent) to selected active tag.

For me, personally, there several benefits of using tags:
> Administrative Benefits: Easy of use in sorting, finding and linking to various tag groups
-- For example, you might want to have a set of tags that are color-related, and they could all be nested together as one group.

> Sharing Benefits: Depending upon how you link your tags, you can make select groups of tags easily accessible in a pubic or shared brain, while keeping other tags out of the linked network in the plex.
-- For example, you might not want to provide public links to your administrative tags in a shared brain, but access to a group of color tags might be very helpful for people with whom you share your brain.

Although I'm not actually working in TB10 yet, I have experimented with setting up some nested tags,  and I've included a screenshot of an incomplete tag list I created for a test task brain.

In this sample list, you'll see that I am using hidden numbers to create the ordered tag sequence I want, and I use the hyphen as my visual tag indicator. Although this special character does not show up in the search by itself, when combined with the initial letter of the tag name, it will display most (if not all) of the matching tags at the top of the search results.

Also, I think I recall Matt saying quite some time ago that TB team does have plans to make special characters searchable. Will look forward to feedback/confirmation from the TB team on this question.

Hope this helps! Click image for larger version - Name: SampleTags.png, Views: 55, Size: 22.15 KB

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software