danlandrum
I just watched Jerry Michalski's latest video which is a screen recording of him using TB9. He mentions this is version 9 in the video. I dream of my brain being this speedy. Can the admins let us know if he's using a different version, and what operating system, etc? My brain is so much slower than than. His is quite usable. I'm envious. 

I'm apologize if the political nature of the video is offensive to anyone. I would have shared this regardless of the material.  Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9hie3x9-s
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
holdom
Hi,

This is a good question and here are some possible reasons:
  • Jerry does not import files into his brain, he just adds links
  • The video is captured without the notes editor. Having the notes editor visible containing a lot of text and pictures might slow down the animation speed
  • I put the slider of the animation speed of my brain (around 5'600 thoughts) at the middle between fast and slow and can achieve a similar animation effect like Jerry

These are just assumptions and not facts. Maybe others can contribute more relevant information here.

Dominik

@ work: HP Notebook, Win7 Prof.
@ home: MacBook Air 13", macOS Sierra

Using TheBrain since 1999 (v.1.78).
Harlan
Hi all, Jerry is using the same TB9 as you all. His machine is a recent model 13" MBP with 8GB or ram if I recall correctly. He has almost 300,000 thoughts and over 500,000 links in his brain.

FYI, file attachments do not affect the speed of your Brain. The primary thing you can do if you want to make animation smoother is to turn off Preferences > UI > "Update content on hover" and "Embedded browser for web links". Unfortunately, the web browser can really drag down the entire application and there is not a whole lot we can do about it.

Good news: We are still continuing to optimize TB9 and the next release (9.0.116) is a lot lot lot faster if you have a very large (100,000+ thought) brain. Internally, we run tests with a brain of over 1,000,000 thoughts. In our testing, we have seen a 1,000% increase in performance. Looking forward to getting this out to you all. Hopefully very soon.

Regards,
-Harlan
PaddyVA
danlandrum wrote:
. . .
I'm apologize if the political nature of the video is offensive to anyone. I would have shared this regardless of the material.  Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9hie3x9-s

Fascinating, both content and technique!  Thanks for sharing!
danlandrum
Thanks, Harlan. You have a copy of my brain. I sent it last week. It doesn't work like Jerry's. My screen flashes and there's a lag at every click. Yes, turning off update on hover helped, but it only eliminated one of the series of flash/lag points. I appreciate the progress you're making and look forward to the next release. I haven't heard anything back since I sent the file and logs, and you also didn't mention if Jerry's Brain happens to be used on a machine running Sierra. Perhaps my problem is entirely related to Sierra? It would be nice to know. 
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Harlan
Hi Dan,

I don't know what OS Jerry is running, but I doubt very much that the issue is related to Sierra. There were two major bugs related to Sierra that have already been fixed. The only other Sierra bugs are very minor. (We have several machines running Sierra that we are using TB9 on regularly.)

In any case, thanks for sending your data. I'm sure the testing team is investigating with it.

9.0.116 will most likely be out later today and while I haven't tried it with your data, it may solve your issue as we identified and fixed number of potential bottlenecks.
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
Thanks, Harlan. That's fantastic news.
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Cerebrum
When I click on "Launch Jerry's Brain" at JerrysBrain.com, it takes me to https://webbrain.com/brain/brain/3D80058C-14D8-5361-0B61-A061F89BAF87/thought/16065

When I search for various thoughts that are displayed at the beginning of the video (e.g. "Trump's Favorite Tactics" or "Aim for the Highest"), I get "No matching thought", after quite a long delay.

It seems that the video is displaying a different brain, or the search function doesn't work very well on the web brain.
danlandrum
He mentions near end of the YouTube video that the brain he is demonstrating is not the same as his online webbrain, nor is the content available in the app version. The demo is a screencast of his brain in TB9. TB9 webbrain is still in early development stages. 
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Cerebrum
Thanks Dan. 
[smile]
Harlan
9.0.116 is out now. [smile]

The web client for TB9 is much improved over TB8 (including search speed), however it is not ready yet. Soon...
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software