PaulaO
I would like to do a total uninstall then reinstall. I think 9 and 10 running together has borked some of my brains. Before they are totally fubar, I'd like to start over.

Other than just uninstall, what else needs to be removed? Registry entries and any left over folders?

I had 10 look for the brains in a different folder. It "moved" them over but now they are all misnamed and not working correctly. So I'd like to start over then import.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Spell checkers aren't worth shirt.

Writers and editors have their own demon. Typo is his mane.
mcaton

Paula,

I always hesitate when using the word 'delete' but here goes. The steps below are some basic "start from scratch" instructions. Please note that this will delete all the local copies of your Brains (whether you are using v9 or v10). Anyone reading this that has valuable information/data in your local Brains and do not have them synced or have a .brz archive file... these instructions should not be used! Proceed with caution...

Windows:

Uninstall TheBrain using the typical Add/Remove Programs on a Windows device.

Navigate to C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\TheBrain and delete. (AppData may be a 'hidden' folder)

Next delete your Brain data directory. This is typically located in C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\Brains (inside this Brains folder, you should see a folder/folders named something like U00, U01, etc... Delete.

Now, re-install TheBrain 9 or TheBrain 10. You will be starting with a clean slate. Once you log in, you'll have the option to download any Brains from TheBrain Cloud that you have access to. 

macOS

Similar process. Delete TheBrain from your Applications directory.

Navigate to Macintosh HD/Users/[user name]/.TheBrain and delete.

The .TheBrain folder is not normally visible on macOS. To get to the folder you can also open Finder:

Click on Go > Go to Folder

and type "~/.TheBrain" (without quotes). 

Next delete your Brain data directory. This is typically located in Users/[username]/Brains (inside this Brains folder, you should see a folder/folders named something like U00, U01, etc. Delete.

Now, reinstall/restart TheBrain 9 or TheBrain 10. You should be starting with a clean slate and after logging in, will have access to download previously synced Brains.

I can't stress enough that you are permanently deleting all local Brains by following these steps.  These are also not "backup" procedures.  Backups or archives of existing Brains should only be done in the app by syncing or creating a Brain Archive (brz) and not by backing up the directories explained in this post.

Thanks and be careful out there,
Matt

PaulaO
That worked. Brains are still misnamed but renaming them seems to have worked. I love it when uninstalling a program actually uninstalls it! No leftovers.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Spell checkers aren't worth shirt.

Writers and editors have their own demon. Typo is his mane.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software