rengel
Does anybody have a sensible solution for handling synonyms?

Say, you have four concepts or thoughts that (almost) mean the same thing:
Screencapturing, Screenrecording, Screenscraper, Screenshots.
(What about possible translations into foreign languages?)

What's the best way, to capture them in PB without creating four separate thoughts, but without losing the ability to locate them quickly with 'Search'?

Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
jostber
What about creating a thought with the name SCREENCAPTURING | SCREENRECORDING | SCREENSCRAPER ! SCREENSHOTS?

I use uppercase for my main categories. Standard case for regular thoughts.

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
jostber
Optimally labels should be indexed so they could be used for this purpose. This is especially important where there are many synonyms or long describing text. Tags might be used in a smart way for this too, but this makes work and need for planning, so that there are not too many tags.
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
JonnyB
I just put a comma in between synonyms or words in various languages (I work in two languages).  This has worked great.
zenrain
For advanced searches vs finding them immediately in instant search you can modify the synonyms.txt file in the PersonalBrain\res folder (in Program Files).
In the example given you would add a line:

Screenshot=screencapture; screenrecording; screenscrape

Make sure you save a backup of the file after you have modified it, every time you install a new version of PB it resets to the original version.

That way, whenever you do and advanced or extended search for any of those words, it will automatically include the other synonyms you have included.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software