PeterW
How do I get rid of / hide the search field, especially in fullscreen mode?

Thanks in advance!
Thanks for TH3 BrAiN!
zenrain
Sorry, there is no way to hide it right now.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
PeterW

+  =  + Why?

Dryopithecus
You can submit a feature request at the Feature Suggestions forum or UserVoice.
dyslucksia
Which search field do you mean? The Search Edit Box at the bottom LH corner of the plex, where you type in the terms for which you want to search, or the Search Results window, which appears above the Search Edit Box when matching results have been found?

Also let me ask, why would hiding either of these help you?
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
PeterW
@ zenrain, Dryopithecus: Thank you! I think I will, but ... ->
@ dyslucksia: You know what? You ARE right! Today I gave it another thought and actually no search box at all (the one at the bottom LH) = no good! Perhaps a box that fades out when not used and which pops in when your cursor moves over this area!  Just in favour of a clear interface?!

Didn't meant to whine.
Thanks for TH3 BrAiN!

FransJehoul
Designed this way.

Regards
jostber
Hide the Search button in Preferences would be a good option to have though.

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Darkstar

Fading instant search box? Sounds like a cool whistle to have.

-Darkstar
dyslucksia
jostber's suggestion of an option to hide the Search button is an excellent one. That would create more room on the Past Thoughts List. And, if it is hidden, then there should also be the option that pressing Enter does not call up Extended Search but automatically activates the Thought in the Instant Search Results box, provided there is only one...or does nothing.

Not only does the presence of the Search button seem to cause recurring confusion about the difference between Instant and Extended Search, especially for newcomers, but I've long maintained that the "Search" button is a useless button leading to a useless search. If it is visible, it should be tied to Advanced, not "Extended" Search. Don't others find it confusing, too, that in a mouse-driven application such as PB, there's no toolbar icon for Advanced Search, and that the magnfying glass icon we see there happens to be for Search Web?
Darkstar

Well, the "Search" button is there for users so they can specify they want the term in the box searched. It isn't necessarily true in an app that "Return" would launch search, and without the button there, how would inexperienced users know they could launch a search other than whats shown in the instant search box?

-Darkstar
dyslucksia
Quote:
..without the button there, how would inexperienced users know they could launch a search other than whats shown in the instant search box?

As I said above, introduce a special Advanced Search icon for the toolbar...

IMO it's important NOT to allow either Extended or Advanced search from the Search Edit box. Once newcomers to PB discover that two searches with completely different methods and wildcards have been "shoehorned" into one entry field it may strike them as a cheap, expedient solution for something that should have been designed more thoughtfully in the first place.

What we need here are:

1) A
special Advanced Search icon for the toolbar, as mentioned above, not just a menu option and a F9 key. I've stated in earlier posts how unintuitive and confusing I find "Search Web"'s magnifying glass icon. Use a world globe for "Search Web" and use a magnifying glass or binoculars for Advanced Search!
2) Eliminate Extended Search from the Search Edit Field, or alternatively, include options to (a) make it unavailable; (b) replace it with Advanced Search.
3) Add more options, maybe keyboard accelerators, for Advanced Search:
     (a) when it starts, an option to copy the last search terms used in Instant Search to it;
     (b) when it starts, an option to Select All (which means the same as using Extended Search)
     (c) a Custom Search option, allowing search templates to be recalled (e.g., Labels only) - a great timesaver.

Forcing separation between Instant Search and Extended Search in the Search Edit field will make users a lot more aware of the major differences between them, and also allow the Enter key (which now invokes Extended Search) to be used for something better. For example, if there is only one Instant Search result, pressing Enter could activate it, or maybe "activate Thought when GUID entered" (secret developer's trick - try it!), or maybe "activate Thought when ID entered" (instead of Ctrl+Enter, as it is now*), or maybe "add all results to selection" (hey, wouldn't that be nice?), or maybe...

In most other applications, pressing Enter in a Search usually means "go to it", not "start another search".

*Changed from Ctrl+Shift+Enter - see here.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software