mctrexler
I am frequently copying a collection of thoughts from one Brain to another.  For the life of me I can't figure out what I need to say when asked to avoid having all the tags from one Brain transfer to the other.  So I always end up with tags that I have to delete in the new Brain. "Overwrite" and "Skip" don't seem to prevent the tags from copying.  Should the "Skip" instruction not prevent the tag from being copied?

Thanks,

Mark

pthompson
Mark,

When you copy a Thought you are copying everything associated with the Thought. If you want to only copy the Thought name you would want to copy the Thought as text. We recently updated our tutorial on this HERE.
mctrexler
Thanks for the reminder re Thought as Text.  Will be useful.   But in terms of tags and types there's no mention.  What does "skip" mean then when copying a thought and it asks what to do about a tag? 

Thanks, 
pthompson
Mark,

I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I know, there is no question regarding tags when pasting Thoughts. Can you post a screenshot?
zenrain
My understanding of this is that all the metadata of a thought is copied over when you copy to a new Brain database. If the thought has tags or thought types associated with it, it will carry those over. To not have the tags/types/events copy over to the new database you would have to remove them from the thought prior to linking, or copy the thought as text. (Update: Ooops, just saw Patrick said this exact thing, sorry to repeat).

If the thought being copied has a tag or type associated with it, and the database it is being pasted into already has that tag or type, you will have the option to overwrite or skip updating the tag/type information.
If you overwrite, it will overwrite the existing tag or type with the new one. 
For example, database 1 has a tag that's green. In database 2 that same tag exists, and it's yellow. I copy the thought from database 1 into database 2 and choose overwrite. The tag in database 2 will then be green.
If I skip, it will not overwrite the existing tag with the data on the new one. 
Continuing the example above, the tag will remain yellow in database 2.

Hope this helps.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software