Julian2008
Hi,
since a lot of my thoughts (I'm building up a classification system) have identical names (although they belong to different branches within the brain), I tried to use the comma trick with these thoughts already created, but no way. The only way to see the corresponding parent thought in the search window is creating AND simultaneousely adding the comma in front (or at the end) of the thought name.
In other words: adding the comma later on is useless, you can see only these commas in the search windows rather than their respective parent names.
I even tried to reimport some outline branches (tabbed text) with these commas already in them ... in vain)

Any hint appreciated,
Julian

PS 5.0.2.3

Harlan
Just rename the thought so that it includes the name of the parent, separated by a comma. For example, if you have a thought "Books" with the parent thought "Science", rename "Books" to "Books, Science" or "Science, Books"
Regards,
-Harlan
Julian2008
In other words: I should add the name of the parent thought to each and every thought manually? OK, but then there's no "comma trick" anymore. This doesn't work for me since this way I'd have to rename almost thousands of thoughts. Prior to importing them I had added the commas by a simple reg-ex operation, hoping the PB would consider and accept these pasted thought groups as if they were created manually.

Thanks anyway for your prompt reply.
Julian

Darkstar
The problem is that comma is a normal character --- after creation. The "comma trick" is purely a thought creation shortcut. After creation, you must do that changing/editting manually if you want to use it. I've had this very problem, but only with a little over 300 thoughts.

The question is what kind of interface mechanism would be useful to help with this issue in future version of PB?
-Darkstar
sunwei415
It will be better if there is a switch in user preference on how to dwell with comma while importing and editing Thoughts. Thus we can choose whether to treat a comma as the "trick" comma or ordinary comma.
Windows XP,JRE 1.6.0_13,PB 5.5.0.8-b
ErikW
Sunwei415 said "It will be better if there is a switch in user preference on how to dwell with comma while importing and editing Thoughts. Thus we can choose whether to treat a comma as the "trick" comma or ordinary comma."

Even better would be to do the comma thing in an existing thought and then a prompt to indicate which parent to connect it to.

In my opinion :-)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software