hasi123
any ideas, how to make a functional booklist? 
I tried to add some persons (authors) to a thought called "books". 
as childs of the author the books he has written. 

If I add books, I may use the trick with comma, so that the name of the author is hidden, if the author is in focus. 
But normally not. For this, I must type the author several times. 

For example: 

"Sigmund Freud, About Psychoanalysis" 

How do you write thougts for that book optimal? 

parent: "Freud, Sigmund"  --> child: "Freud, About Psychoanalysis"
or parent "Sigmund Freud" (not alphabetical ordered) --> child: "Sigmund Freud, About Psychoanalysis"
or child just "About Psychoanalysis" 

or any other ideas?
mbaas
I think the whether or not to include the author depends on what you intend to do with the "book-thoughts": if you're going to add further links to these, it would probably make sense to include the authors name, as it would make it easier to get that info. And if you format it as "Freud, Sigmund" or "Sigmund,Freud" is just a matter of personal preference, because you can find both variante by just start typing "Freud". Please not the subtle difference between "Sigmund,Freud" and "Sigmund Freud": the first will enable you to enter a book as "Freud,About Psychoanalysis" and still have the authors name hidden by comma-trick whereas the 2nd way would not do that...
zenrain
I don't include the author in the book name, I have my list set up as follows:

Author is the parent thought with a thought type of person.
Book is the book name and are children of the person thought. These have a thought type of Book (funnily enough ). If it's part of a series I have a link to a Category thought with the series name. The books are then attached to the Category thought, with the number or the book in the series, followed by the book name, a comma and the series name. This is so they are ordered correctly. 
On the link from the person to the book/category thought I have a link type of Author of, with an arrow pointing from the author to the book. The link type does have it's own category.
Finally, I usually go to Amazon and capture an image of the cover page for the Book thought. 

If you want to include standardized text in the notes you may try creating a template book thought. You can set the note text however you want, then when you are creating a book, just duplicate the thought and shift-link the duplicated thought from the author to the duplicated book. I drag from the author to the book as it will set the arrow direction correctly when I assign the link type.

I set it up that way because it's usually enough for me to either search by the author, activate and get a list of the books, or go to the book directly and easily see the author. This is usually enough for my purposes, I don't need to see author name, book name when I do a instant search. However, I do like to see the books in the series if I search by the series name, hence the comma trick for a series.

I use the link type so I can report on authors easily (I use the person thought type for more than just authors). To do this I created a custom report with the link type set to Author of and the Thought type set to Person. I can then run this report and just see authors.

This is my setup, it may or may not work for you, but at least it may give you some ideas. I also use something similar for actors and movies, as well as artists and albums.

Oh, and while I'm at it, it would be really bloody nice to have a quicker way to access custom reports. Three dropdowns is a bit clumsy to navigate. Click image for larger version - Name: book.png, Views: 401, Size: 369.43 KB
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
hasi123
thank you 

Quote:
Oh, and while I'm at it, it would be really bloody nice to have a quicker way to access custom reports. Three dropdowns is a bit clumsy to navigate.

you need something like http://www.quickmacros.com/ , what is clicking for you

it is a little difficult, to make some macro for thebrain, but I have done that today, because I have often thought about this problem and how to change that. 

so my macro - toolbar looks like that. of cause, some things are not real neccessary. but I don't want to move the mouse all around...

but some I think is good.  so I need just a click now to bring the window in front, where filter settings can be checked, and also a click, to click on a saved view again. (so I do not have to click all reports, individual reports, load individual report, and then choose, - the mouse is over the coosing field directly) Click image for larger version - Name: toolbar.png, Views: 390, Size: 77.04 KB
zenrain
Thanks, I've tried something similar with AHK, but there are no keyboard controls for the reports dropdown that I'm aware of. So even if I assigned a hotkey or button to focus on the reports tab I can't simulate keyboard clicks to access the reports drop-down. I'd have to define the action by using mouse position which I don't like to do because it won't work if the screen is a different size.

Have you found a way to do that?
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
hasi123
yes, there are problems. thebrain does not allow to access any button separately. 
so my macro works by scanning the screen for some image, which I have taken before. 
some of that images I have attached here. 

because the field, where I can click on it to get the menü is showing different texts, if a individual filter is already in view, (normally it's text is "all" - see last image) therefore I decieded, to let the macro scan for the first image, what shows "berichte" /reports and is above the field I want to click. 

then the mouse is moving by the macro to that image, it founds. 

from that point it moves the mouse some pixels (30) down. 
and the mouse is clicking there. 

after that, the macro is scanning for the second image "individuelle berichte", which is the field down under, where is at the right another pop up, which gives access to the field above, what shows the window, where the individual filter settings can be choosen. 

if that is done, in one way the macro may scann the check mark, in the third image and move the mouse over that checkmark. 
this checkmark is not visable in any cause. I believe, in the other cause, I have written the macro to send some keystroke like "right" "down" or "up" to get access (like you normally would navigate with the keyboard). 

AHK is not be abled to scan for some image?

Click image for larger version - Name: berichte_oben.jpg, Views: 384, Size: 966 Bytes Click image for larger version - Name: individuelle_berichte_(2).jpg, Views: 386, Size: 2.22 KB
Click image for larger version - Name: häckchen.jpg, Views: 377, Size: 504 Bytes Click image for larger version - Name: amacro.png, Views: 396, Size: 16.90 KB
zenrain
I believe it does allow that, yes. Thanks for the idea, I'll look into it!
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
hasi123
best way it seems is to set some shortcut to activate the reports window (in the brain shortcut settings)
let the macro send these keys, then the "reports" window title has a specific colour. 
let the macro scan for that image. 
let move the mouse there and let move from that point 30pixels down. 
let it click there
let the macro scan for some "individual reports" image, let it move the mouse there ........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what I would like now is a combination of load a saved view with a saved report with correct filter settings (on, off, invers) 

because it seems for me, if I save a individual report, I have to write in its name, with what filter setting this report should be viewed (?). 
and also I believe, there are saved views, which are meant to look at with a saved report and filter setting. 

am I right?  If I want to wiev my interests, for example, and filter other thoughts out, and want to save this view, I have to write in its name which filter to load and which setting, and have to load the saved view, the saved report, and the filter setting for that report 
BrentK
I use a simple construct where the author's name is the parent Thought, and each book written by an author is a child Thought under that author (or under multiple authors if necessary).  If a book is part of a series, I put the series name first in the Thought's name so that all books associated with the series are grouped together and displayed in order.

Other than this, I do use tags and Thought Types to help me organize and locate books.  For example:
  • When I create the book Thought, I assign a Thought Type of Kindle or Nook.  This allows me to more easily locate books in my online accounts.  (All the books I read are ebooks.)
  • When I create the book Thought I also assign a tag of 'unrated'.  This allows me to quickly locate all books that I haven't read yet.
  • Once I've read a book, I remove the 'unrated' tag and add three tags: one to rate the book and two for the month/year I read it.  These tags help when I create reports.
I hope this helps!

hasi123
thank you  
how do you rate a book with one tag? 

I try now to collect books under one thought (book collection) and child links to either the book title or the autor, if he has written more books. 
I have made one-directed links from the collection to the child thoughts, so that I can view normaly without these links. 
Some autors are in my brain with other then book thoughts... 
I do have also a tag for "book". so I asked me a little bit, while this collection is growing, if this is usefull. 
I have aprox. 1000 books. If I write them in, there would be a problem handling such a big complex. 
so I think about to different in classic, psychological and some other groupings instead of one collection. 
zenrain
Thanks BrentK, I like the way you make use of an unrated tag. I'll have to try that.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
hasi123
can you explain for me how one directed links work? 

I thought, that these links are only visible, if I have or had the thought in focus, from which these links are going away. 
Now I see, that much times these links are in my brain unexpectedly also if I not want them. 

Is that a bug? 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software