mctrexler

I spent the day creating hundreds of internal links using the recommended “Insert Link to Thought” command.  Everything worked fine – the links were working. 

Now all of those links are broken, generating a message: “The thought that this link pointed to cannot be found.”  WTH. Nothing has changed in terms of the thought being pointed to. 

The only thing I did that might conceivably explain the situation was that I copied the internal links from one thought to another.  Does copying an internal link break it?  So the link no longer works in the original thought, or the copied thought.  Seriously? 

metta
@mctrexler ~

Oh, dear! Another v10 note editor bug....So sorry to hear this, Mark!

I'm wondering: you've been using TB10 for quite some time now. Is this the first you've noticed this issue?

Or have there been any issues with internal links before, either in their original location or when moved (copied) to a new location?
mctrexler
@metta

This is the first time where I've created "mass links" in an individual thought.  As in this thought:  https://bra.in/8pJoVg  And the first time that I've copied those links en masse into another thought.  And then realized that both the originating links and the copied links no longer worked. 

Obviously I've copied links before, but makes me wonder whether they're actually operational, or whether they're broken and I just never realized it. 

But disconcerting to realize that 50 links in a thought that worked earlier today, no longer work. And there's no visual indication of the problem until you try to activate the link.  
metta
@mctrexler ~

Wow....That's too bad!
> What about other existing internal links in TB10? Do they all seem to be working? Or is the problem limited to links you recently created?
> Also, is there any chance you ever accidentally opened TCW in TB11?
mctrexler
So, the answer is clear based on testing this morning.  

1. Copying a thought with links breaks the links
2. Copying links in a Notes field, and pasting them into another Notes field, does not break the links.

What I was trying to do was create a private set of thoughts with links, and a public set of thoughts without links. So I was making copies of thoughts, with the intent of then de-activating the links in the copies.  

Then I realized that all the links were broken. What had really confused me was that it seemed the links were broken in both 1) the thought being copied, and 2) the copy of the thought.  But that wasn't the case. Because I had selected the thoughts, copied them, pasted them (so the original thoughts are still highlighted, the copies are not), then I disconnected the originally copied thoughts and moved them to where I wanted them, and then I deactivated the links (by simply copying all the links and doing a "paste and match format."  I realized later that I was working in the original thoughts, not the copied thoughts.  And not realizing that the hundreds of links in the copied thoughts were broken, I deactivated the links in the original thoughts.  Of course the links in the copied thoughts looked entirely fine until you click on one, then it doesn't work. 

So I managed to kill hundreds of links I'd been working on most of the day.  Should I have realized that copying a thought with links deactivates the links?  Seems like undesirable behavior, to say the least. 
metta
@mctrexler ~

Very glad to get the detailed update, Mark. Thanks so much for taking time to share the results of your troubleshooting.

Links should definitely work if copied from one note and pasted into another. At least that is what I, too, would have expected....and desired.
metta
= Update =

Just now visited with Mark, and realized I misunderstood the issue is he is having with the notes in TB10.
> Links can be coped and pasted into a new note with no problem.

This problem is that when you copy an entire thought (with a note containing links), the note looks identical with the original thought -- but ALL the links in the new (copied) thought are now broken.

At this point, the note from the original thought has to be copied and pasted on top of the new note in order to restore the working links.

@mctrexler ~ Can you confirm that I finally got this straight? 
metta
FWIW, I just now replicated this issue in TB11 by (1) creating a new thought in TB11, with internal and external links in the notes and then (2) copying this same thought into the plex:
> Internal links in the notes BROKE in the new copied thought
> External links in the notes did NOT break in the new copied thought

Will open another new help desk ticket and attach a copy of my output log and both of the 2 notes..
mctrexler
Thanks for testing in 11 Metta.  That must mean that this bug was never noticed in 10.  Hard to imagine - although how often do we have cause to copy entire thoughts with links in the same Brain.  

FWIW (interesting result), I just created a new Brain with thoughts containing links from an existing Brain.  The links in the copied thought worked!  As soon as I created a copy of that thought in the new Brain, the links were dead.  So you can copy thoughts between Brains, but not within Brains.  
metta
@mctrexler ~

Very interesting update! Glad you caught this.

Will add your feedback into my help desk ticket.
mcaton

Thanks for posting and detailing this issue Mark.  I've documented for further review.  Good to know that there is a work around (copying the note content)  in the mean time...

Thanks,
Matt

mctrexler
FYI this bug has been fixed in 11.41, not sure about 10. 
nick
@mctrexler 

Just checked and looks like this has not been fixed for v10

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software