wordmuse
This seems to be happening with increasing frequency. It can't be the versions since there hasn't been an update, so I'm not sure what else is going on.

When I search for something, even something that is in a note right in front of me, TheBrain doesn't find it when I perform a search.  I have to rebuild the index, which takes time and is annoying.  I suppose I could perform this every night when I'm done with the computer.  But I'm really hoping that there's an easier way.

Thoughts?
- Bal

Addendum 2015-06-07: I have found a workaround, which is hardly ideal, and I post it hear in case anyone else has similar difficulty. (I had to rebuild my index twice today, so I'm no longer going to use TheBrain's search function and will use my workaround instead.) I use a freeware file management program called MultiCommander. It allows me to search for files, filtered for things like size, extension, file name, etc. And it will search inside files to look for specified text. I create a shortcut to TheBrain's Files folder and then conduct my search from there.  Then I use MultiCommander to open the desired file.
pthompson
Bal,

Are you sure that you are using the latest version of TheBrain 8.0.1.6 and Java Version 8 Update 45. This was an issue that was present in a previous version of TheBrain but has since (to our knowledge) been resolved. If you are up to date, does this issue only occur with one Brain or all Brains on your system? Where do you have the local copy of the Brain saved? Are you sharing it with anyone? Are you using any backup software that can possibly be modifying the files in the location where you have your Brain database saved? Any additional information you can share will help us troubleshoot this issue. Thank you.
wordmuse
Hi Patrick...

Yes - I have the current versions. In fact, just to be double-sure, I downloaded Java again and then rebuilt the index. Same problem.

It does appear to be with this one Brain. Other Brains seem to work so far, though I haven't worked with them for a few hours to see what happens. I'll do that this afternoon.

I don't share the Brain with anyone, though I do have it synced with your online service.

As for backup, I believe the software I use can't be the cause since this is recent and I've been using the backup software for a couple of years now.  If necessary, I can PM you about the backup software I use.

Does TheBrain create log files that I can send your way to help?

Thanks.
- Bal
pthompson
Bal,

Yes, TheBrain usually creates an output.log file, although you may need to run TheBrain as an admin to produce one. If you want, feel free to send us an email at support.thebrain.com or email sales@thebrain.com so we can look into this closer.
wordmuse
Confirming that after a few hours, the other Brain continues to work fine. So it appears to be something wrong with just the one.
I'm going to try a couple of other things, and if they don't work, I'll see about creating the output.log file and send it to you.

Thanks.
- Bal
wordmuse
Hi - OK - so I guess I need to create the output.log file. I've launched TheBrain in admin mode and can't find the file. Where would it be located?

As an experiment, I tried crawling a small piece of the problem Brain, copying the thoughts, and pasting them into a new Brain.  Search finds the contents in the new Brain as one would expect.  But it's not really a workable solution to copy all the thoughts over that way because the newly pasted thoughts all acquire today's date, which means that I lose the history and would not be able to use the report function to find thoughts created, say, in April 2013.

So I'm at a standstill in terms of what to do, other than the workaround I mentioned above.

Is there a way to build the search index from scratch, or is that done already, every time I rebuild the search index?

Thanks.

- Bal
pthompson
Bal,

Please be sure to delete any existing output.log files in Program Files (x86)\TheBrain or Program Files\TheBrain (if you are using TheBrain 64-bit) before reproducing the issue so we can get a clearer look at what the issue may be. In Windows, right click the TheBrain icon in your start menu then select 'Run as administrator', this will enable TheBrain to run as administrator for one session. Next, reproduce the problem then email us a copy of your output.log file which can be found in Program Files (x86)\TheBrain or Program Files\TheBrain (if you are using TheBrain 64-bit). 
wordmuse
I've done as instructed and submitted a support ticket.

Thanks.

- Bal

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software