Shiiko
Since we seem to be in the pre-5.1 doldrums, where we are actually using PB for work and not toying with it much, I wondered how often you use your PB?  

My answer:
After starting my computer, PB is the second program that I open after my Email client and....I use my brain about 3 hours per (10 hour) day, although I access it about 30 times throughout the day.  (I'm guessing this, and could actually be underestimating.)  PB stays open until I shut down (or until the memory load between it and Firefox gets out of hand.  Then I usually restart both.)

How'bout you?

autoxracer
Yeah, i loaded with a lot of info when i first started using and use daily to retrieve that info. 

However, i have not added a lot of info of late because some of the key features i want to use are still broke with no indication if it will be fixed in 5.1. 

One key feature is cutting and pasting outlines with link to existing thoughts.  This would make pb extremely powerful as i could build quick outlines and have links to old thoughts connected.  without the links the groups of thoughts paste just become children of current thoughts with no knowledge to existing thoughts.
zenrain
Hmm, I'm pretty close to that. its the second app I open after mail. It's always open in my second monitor so I don't know how long I'm actually in or using it. Accessing it 20-30 times per day sounds about right.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
westbroek
It's a lot like email: it's always there.

It auto-loads in hidden mode, with the floating icon. Never thought about leaving it open on a second monitor...
Dryopithecus
Everyday my PB wakes up 10~30 minutes after I wake up, it sleeps 10~30 minutes before I sleep. I keep it maximized, most of the time, I use Normal - Expand All view.

Below is the stats of the activations of my main brain:

Click image for larger version - Name: activations.png, Views: 437, Size: 15.57 KB
bfisher
first app I open, last app I close.  I interact with it all day long...  For me it's the only way I could keep everything organized and quickly reachable.

autoxracer
dyslucksia wrote:

Quote:
One key feature is cutting and pasting outlines with link to existing thoughts.

I don't understand you. Where are these existing thoughts? In the Brain you're cutting from or in the Brain your pasting into? Why can't you copy all the linked thoughts from the first Brain (maybe use Crawl Brain) and then paste them in as a group into the new Brain? Seems to work ok for me.

I have distant thoughts with the same name that i want to link to as jumps.  I have a lot of uses for putting thoughts of the same name but perhaps in a different category(thought).  When you paste an outline it ask to link to existing - it does not work.
NorthFarm
First app. to open, last to close, both at work and at home.

Have just gotten it to work on Windows 7 RC!
Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 11.0.95.0 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_211
labische
interact with program all day    
testing on 'netbook' - for input when not at desk    
to save having scraps of paper strewn everywhere....

Steeph
Same here
First to open
Last to close

I use it to start other programs like FireFox or Total Commander and I use it heavily as a bookmark manager. So almost everything I do start from PB.
Entering new stuff goes in waves, sometimes days nothing and sometimes 100 thoughts and links and files in 2 days.

At work I use it less as I have other company specific tools to keep track of my work and such, but I do use it as in-project tool to note ideas, GTD and little bit as historical KB.

PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
Shiiko
Dryopithecus wrote:

Below is the stats of the activations of my main brain:

Awesome graph!!! 

Steeph wrote:

Entering new stuff goes in waves, sometimes days nothing and sometimes 100 thoughts and links and files in 2 days.

Yep.   Although there are few days when I don´t enter information.    

bfisher wrote:

For me it's the only way I could keep everything organized and quickly reachable.

Yep. I can´t do research without having it open to cut and paste.

dyslucksia wrote:

Notes Editor still has more bugs than a downtown hotel,

I paste everything as unformatted text and only use color highlighting and bold.  

Thanks everyone for their input so far. 
Darkstar
At work, it opens on startup/login, and runs until the machine shuts down. I ONLY close it to uninstall a version and install the newest PB version. 

It is my second desktop. It is my tool launcher and information tracker (and holder). As I'm an information warrior (I battle the random senselessness of information into an order that makes sense to me), it is my strategic command for work (and often play!), whereas my computer's desktop is my tactical theater for battling and shaping data and informational noise into something useful, and hopefully, sensible (input -> data -> knowledge -> wisdom).
-Darkstar
bryan
I'm down to 0 times a day.

Simply stated, there have been too many issues for me to trust the program:

1. I've had data loss issues twice.  Although the data was eventually recovered, there was a significant time lapse where I was dead in the water.

2. Every time a new release comes out, they fix one thing and break another.  Look at the posts.  Everytime there's a release there's a flurry of "this used to work, but now it doesn't" problems.  I simply can't trust that the features I use are going to be working at any given moment in the development cycle.

3. Even as a desktop interface, there are times I need to information back out of PB.  This is not easily done.  (I need complete information....all notes, etc.)  Although the export to HTML is nice, the world still runs on a lot of paper.  A lot of the other programs of this "type" have an export to word which allows easy exporting of "all" data.

I still like the program.  I think its concept is excellent, and it's the only thing that I've seen that is truely "3D". I hope to be able to return to it at some point.  I still play with it from time to time, and I keep up on the forum.  But for now, it's off my "currently used applications" list.

Bryan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software