Spacenexus
Sometimes TB8 loses the icon indication in the thought, so that it appears that the thought has no files attached. opening the thought window confirms that they are there, but it's still disconcerting and clearly a bug. Restarting TB8 often solves the issue but it's happening quite often.

Lost Icons.png 

I seem to have noticed it with linked items, whether outlook emails or externally linked files. I'll add a note if I see it occurring with files internal to the thought.

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
mctrexler
I suspect this is linked to the problem I've discussed in a separate thread regarding an inability to capture thought icons from web browsers (Firefox, IE).  When I move a URL from Firefox into the Brain the URL icon is "there" in the sense that the space for it has been created, as in Spacenexus' diagram, but it's blank.  If I try to capture a thought icon from Firefox for that thought I get a grayed out screen with red grid lines for the screen capture. It will create a thought icon with an image of the grayed out screen, but not particularly helpful. 

In fact, if I try to capture a thought icon from any application I get a greyed out screen if a web browser is just open, and it all works fine if the web browser is closed.  

I was told a couple of weeks ago that Brain knew about this bug (which i think is an 8.0.0.7 bug since started happening only then) but have not been able to find out what is being done about it. 

Mark

Windows 7, Java 45, Brain 8.0.0.7
pthompson
Jim,

I have seen this sort of issue before, not just in TheBrain 8. One possibility is that your system's Icon Cache is not displaying correctly, or that your icon cache is corrupted. If this is true, you might want to consider rebuilding the Icon Cache to reset and reload the icon images into the icon cache.

The icon cache is located at the hidden system folder location below:

C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

OPTION ONE

Automatically Rebuild the Icon Cache

1. Download the file below, Rebuild_Icon_Cache.bat

2. Save the file to your desktop, and run it.

3. Click on Run when prompted.

4. Follow the instructions in the command prompt to rebuild the Icon Cache.

5. If the icons are still not displaying properly, then download and merge the ICO option in this tutorial to restore the default associations of .ico (icon) files.

OPTION TWO

To Manually Rebuild the Icon Cache using the Command Prompt

1. Close and save anything that you are working on. This command will kill explorer and restart the computer when completed.

2. Open the Start Menu, and type cmd in the search box and press enter.

3. In the command prompt, Copy and Paste each command line below exactly as is and press enter after each command.

WARNING: The last command will restart the computer, so be sure to close and save anything that you are working on first.

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

DEL IconCache.db /a

shutdown /r /f /t 00

4. The IconCache.db file has now been rebuilt.

5. If the icons are still not displaying properly, then download and merge the ICO option in this tutorial to restore the default associations of .ico (icon) files.

Let me know if this helps.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software