lynnba
I love the desktop version of theBrain. Webbrain on android and ipad devices is not usable for entering thoughts. Even a desktop browser is slow, with a noticeable lag between entering a new thought and seeing it on the screen.

I have lots of thoughts on the run, with only my phone in hand. I tend to capture them in Evernote Is there any automated way to get those into my brain? Or some simple manualized way?

I just don't see myself manually re-entering everything I do on the fly into my Brain. I would love to use theBrain for everything, though.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
hasi123
perhaps, if the thoughts are short, just a semicolon *;* separated text file, that is copied into a new thought, would not be bad?
enkidu
I enter dozens to hundreds of thoughts at a time doing like you : dump data in any text editor as a list (you can even pre-create thought hyerarchies using TAB), then importing as Text Outline into a "dummy" thought, from where I can then create links when convenient.

I've got a brain for a project where I have 20+ commercial entities, each with a sub-entity, each with dozens of servers, each with several SAP instances. many instances and servers are shared between entities, so that makes a lot of linking, but data-entry is the most time-consuming.

cheers
zenrain
In my opinion this is one of the weakest area's of TheBrain.
I have several ways to do this, none of them optimal. 

First is I capture in Evernote, then copy over the information when I'm back at my desktop. This is annoying at best.

For the second, I have an app on iOS called TextExpander which allows me to expand snippets of text by typing in a couple of letters. I use this to auto format text and hyperlinks into the outline that TB accepts. I do this into a text file on my iPhone or iPad, and then paste that into TheBrain when I'm at my desktop. I do a better job of outlining this here.

Finally, I use a bookmarking site called Pinboard (there are others, this is just my favorite). I capture all my bookmarks here, and then once again, when I'm back at my desktop I drag the links in and copy any notes I've added also. This is by far my most common workflow. I used to use a TB tag to show which ones to add to TheBrain, but I stopped as I found out it was extra work when I already know what I want to add...

As I said, it's a weak area. I really, really hope this improves once the E-mail Thoughts to TheBrain feature request is implemented, and they come out with iOS and Android native apps.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
lynnba
Thanks to each of you for good suggestions. I do have PhraseExpress (a Windows type of text expander) which has some pretty powerful macro functionality...hmmm. I will start giving things a whirl. It helps to know I'm not alone in finding this frustrating!

I believe the ultimate success of this product will depend heavily on their ability to stay apace with mobile solutions.

Thanks.
enkidu
?! how will the Email Thoughts feature help large (or fast) data entry ?

It seems to me the main weakness is creating links, not entering data : we've seen that importing thousands of thoughts is easy enough.

Establishing links between imported data then becomes the big problem : again, while pre-formatting your text or excel files does allow some links to be created automatically, these are strictly hyerarchical, so of limited use.

What I find lacking in the UI is a simple way to select thoughts by the dozen, then linking them to another, in a single operation.

zenrain
E-mailing thoughts wouldn't help with large data entry, but from mobile devices it's very quick and easy to send a URL or text or e-mail to a new message and then e-mail that. I use it all the time with Evernote.

Quote:
What I find lacking in the UI is a simple way to select thoughts by the dozen, then linking them to another, in a single operation.

You can ctrl+click a gate to select all thoughts attached to that gate, or ctrl+click thoughts to select them. Then activate the thought you want to attach them to, right-click the selection box and you can link them all as parents, children or jump thoughts. You can also unlink them from that window.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
enkidu
Quote:
You can ctrl+click a gate to select all thoughts attached to that gate, or ctrl+click thoughts to select them. Then activate the thought you want to attach them to, right-click the selection box and you can link them all as parents, children or jump thoughts.

Mmh, not very ergonomic for my taste, but good enough (I played around with this a while, last night).

Thanks.

I haven't done all of my homework on this application, I dont spend hours a day in it.
For example, I have only barely tested the use & usefulness of Thought Types.
Also, I am missing the notion of a "container" where I can dump any thoughts, no matter their parenthood. Right now, this I do this cross-referencing with Jumps. But they're not quite as satisfying.
But I'll delve more into the problem when I'll have formally pinned it down.

Thanks for the usability advice thus far.

cheers
enkidu

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software