mctrexler
Are there any recommendations out there for a new laptop in terms of TheBrain performance?  Will 8 GB of RAM make a difference over 4 or 6?  Type of hard drive?  Processor chip?

The main issue I have in mind of course is Brain mini-freezes, currently lasting up to 30 seconds.  My understanding is that no one has been able to correlate them to any hardware issues, but since I'm thinking about a new laptop I thought I'd check back to see whether TheBrain or users have any particular recommendations!

Thanks,

Mark
pvonk
Perhaps you might tell us how big your brain is. Otherwise I'd recommend 16+.
Simplify, Simplify, Simplify - Thoreau
mctrexler
Primary Brain is 20 GB, 60,000 thoughts, 90,000 links. 

16+ what?

Mark
d_or2000
Hi

I changed my laptop 10 months ago and it has made a real difference in the use of TB regarding the freezes. The main brain is now about 60,000 thoughts, 86,000 links, 8.3 Gb with all the files.

I bought the maximum I could of everything: i7, 2.1 GHz, 8gb ram, 256 SSD, 64bits. TB is now real quick compared to how it was on my old computer, although it has slightly sped down compared to the first month.

My guess about the freezes is that it is due to the fragmentation of the indexes on the hard drive. They are huge files that easily gets fragmented and are constantly accessed. At one point the links.tbl was 1.1Gb and had more than 23,000 fragments... No wonder the head of the hard drive tries to find where is what... So I think the improvement comes from the SSD.

To back this, I can tell about my office computer which is i3, 2.4 GHz, 8gb, 146Gb hard drive, 64 bits.  It is extremely slow with the brain to the point that I had to give up using the brain. I bought a SanDisk UltraFit USB 3 key that I plug in that same computer and the improvement is major. It freezes when I go to some area I haven't visited for a while, but otherwise daily operations are much quicker that when on the hard drive, although not as quick as on the 256 SSD.

Good luck!
pthompson
Great insight d_or2000. Yes, SSDs are an amazing upgrade everyone should get, in my opinion. Not only for improving the speed of your Brain databases but for improving the speed of your machine in general. Platter drives are extremely dated technology at this point. I think any new computer made within the last year or so will (or should) come with a SSD by default.
mctrexler
Have now implemented TheBrain on my new computer!  It's quite the hot rod with i7, 2.50 Ghz, 16 GB of RAM, and a 512 GB SSD.  

At least to date, two days in, it's working great with my primary Brain, about 25 GB in total size.  Very fast, able to actually switch in and out of Extended View quickly, and have not seen a single "mini-freeze."  Even though I have a full suite of programs open in addition to TheBrain.  

I also allocated 640 MB to TheBrain through the VMOptions file, although since the Brain persists in telling me on the screen it's only using 180 MB I'm still not quite sure that command does anything!  

So the signals are good.  And do at least suggest, as suggested by d_or2000, that speed and index fragmentation are key issues.  Although SpaceNexus had said in other threads that he was still encountering mini-freezes, even with new equipment.  So we'll have to monitor.  

Mark

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software