Spacenexus
Hello all

I'm about to transfer my megabrain from TB8 to TB11 (yeah, I know, welcome to the party, what time you call this, etc). 🐢

Has anyone experienced any issues with loss of data through the import process? Have any thoughts, attachments, links, types, tags, notes, etc been dropped somehow?

Any known issues still with us to be aware of? Just checking in, but I assume this has been a feature since TB9 and I don't see any particular posts about it now.

Thanks for your advice.

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
zenrain
Notes are drastically different from v8 to v11. In v 9 and 10 there were no tables, so if you used them I'm not sure how they will transition to v11 tables. Also, notes stay in their original format until they are edited, at which point they will convert to Markdown. 
I would make a brainzip while in v8 and after upgrading, start looking at your thoughts with the most complex notes (especially ones with tables or images) and verify they made the upgrade correctly.

I also think there was a change in how Statistics worked in v8 vs 9,10, or 11, so them being slightly different as far as links or thoughts (something about thought types, but its been a while) isn't immediate cause to panic.

Another thing to watch, TB 9+ has a 150 Character limit for the path to file attachments. This means that if there are attachments whose name+path is > 150 characters it will cause an issue and will need to be trimmed. There is a report to find these situations under attachments, but it's on v9+, so it won't help pre-9x (another good reason for a brainzip). Keep an eye on your log files. 

These are the main gotchas I can remember right now. 
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Spacenexus
Thanks Alex, much appreciated.  I'm attempting to get around the 150 character limit by making some compromises in my workflow. I've left the import running on a copy of my full megabrain and will look out for the items you highlight above. Thanks!

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
Spacenexus
Hi @mcaton

After about 10 hours of processing, I got the attached error notification.

Where do I locate the error report so I can send you, or do you automatically receive it?

Thanks

Jim
Click image for larger version - Name: Spacenexus Brain 8to11 Error Notification.png, Views: 87, Size: 13.48 KB
@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
DavidGretzschel
@Spacenexus
@zenrain
Linked Attachments are able to be longer than 150 characters. Just not internal/TheBrain-Cloud Attachments.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

metta
@Spacenexus ~

FWIW I asked about this several years ago when TB9 was initially released and, to be honest, after all the discussion, it looked like there was not going to be any easy way to check for data loss:
> Best Practices for Determining Data Loss After Import

So far, ZenRain's feedback in this discussion is the best I've seen....

However, this issue is especially challenging when working with huge megabrains, so I'll be interested to know if anyone else has any advice or recommendations since my megabrain is still living in TB8. 🐢🐌 (I'm still missing the full featured tables we have in TB8 since I use them so heavily.)
Spacenexus
Thanks for the reminder of that post @metta. I think the reminder of physical file count is a good step. I also intend to keep the 4TB SSD with the TB8 original megabrain untouched in a plastic bubble for reference so I can refer back to if if needed! 😜
@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
metta
Spacenexus wrote:
Thanks for the reminder of that post @metta. I think the reminder of physical file count is a good step.
Actually, as I understand this, based on the feedback Matt provided in the best practices discussion, it looks like a count comparison may, unfortunately, not be very reliable. ÃƒÆ’ƒÂ°Ã…¸ËœÅ¸ That was actually part of my concern about trying to evaluate the results of my import.

Spacenexus wrote:
I also intend to keep the 4TB SSD with the TB8 original megabrain untouched in a plastic bubble for reference so I can refer back to if if needed! 😜
That will be part of my plan, as well, when I finally get around to doing the import.

In the meantime, I had recently been hoping we could take advantage of the option to link from TB11 back to thoughts in TB8, but I haven't yet been able to get this to work. Have you tried this by any chance ~ and, if so, did you have any success?
Spacenexus
Metta, I'll probably not try that TB11 to TB8 linking. The two environments are on separate computers and I have no use case for that function. Once I figure out how to succesfulky migrate to TB11 then my TB8 will be archived.

Sorry not to be more help there.

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
metta
👍
mcaton
Jim,

Forgive me if I missed this information already being posted, but did you import a .brainzip file or point to a .brain ?  Can you open the v8 Brain in v8? (which can still be downloaded from our website at https://www.thebrain.com/products/thebrain/oldversions 😉 If so, you will then have a .brain file that you can point to when importing into v11.  Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks,
Matt
Spacenexus
Thanks Matt, if you recall I have not been able to import my Brain8 megabrain into TB11 due to 150 path limitation. I've tried to get around that so now I pointed to it with TB11 and received the error above. What's the next step I should take to solve this?

Thanks

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
mcaton
Jim,

Can you send a copy of your Output.log file into support@TheBrain.com after an attempted import?

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software