Harlan
TheBrain 9 for iOS has been updated with several major improvements.

Version 9.0.8 includes:

• Background syncing happens automatically during use of a Brain
  • The last active Brain is automatically opened
  • Improved UI for sync
  • Distant thoughts view is available on the iPad
  • Better performance and startup time
  • Removed support for connecting to the version 8 server (use TheBrain Legacy App if this is needed)

Follow this link or search for "TheBrain" from the App Store on your device.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thebrain-tech/id835873357?mt=8
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Sorry, it might take a few hours before the App Store makes the version available everywhere. If you still see version 9.0.6, check back in an hour or so. 🙁
Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
Thank you, the automatic sync is a welcome improvement. 🙂
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
dpangier
It is, though, somewhat disappointing that the opportunity of supporting the native resolution of the iPhone X wasn't taken. :-(
advisors
Nice, thank you Arlan for the sync update.

In some circonstances, sync seems to happen in front, and not back ground.

F.ex. if you oppen a note, the old sync screen appears and you can't do anything until the sync finishes (like before background sync).

Also, I seem to NOT SEE all my most recent updates / new thoughts since the "background sync update".

I created a new thought named "Penser la décroissance: Politiques de l'anthropocène" on TB on Windows.
It synced well to TB on IOS (under the "old" sync).

I had NOT synced it to my TB on OSX.
As I tried this w-e, I could not get it to appear / sync to TB on my mac.

And yes, I tried multiple times / gave it some time to sync.

I need to do some more tests (did not expect this to happen) to confirm this behavior, but could it be that the new sync "forgets" some thoughts / updates ?

TB on Win still on 9.0.264
Latest versions on IOS and OSX.

Keep up the great work, and best regards,
Roger

/Update

Did a first test:

Thoughts created on TB  Win 9.0.264 and latest version of TB on IOS sync well.

Harlan wrote:
TheBrain 9 for iOS has been updated with several major improvements.

Version 9.0.8 includes:

• Background syncing happens automatically during use of a Brain
  • The last active Brain is automatically opened
  • Improved UI for sync
  • Distant thoughts view is available on the iPad
  • Better performance and startup time
  • Removed support for connecting to the version 8 server (use TheBrain Legacy App if this is needed)

Follow this link or search for "TheBrain" from the App Store on your device.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thebrain-tech/id835873357?mt=8
Harlan
Advisors, please contact support@thebrain.com if you have not already regarding the sync issue you described. It's not clear from your post what is happening. FYI, the underlying sync logic has not changed in the new iOS app, just the UI.
Regards,
-Harlan
advisors
Harlan wrote:
Advisors, please contact support@thebrain.com if you have not already regarding the sync issue you described. It's not clear from your post what is happening. FYI, the underlying sync logic has not changed in the new iOS app, just the UI.

Harlan,

I will (once I've confirmed my problem).

Regarding the ios version.

Something HAS changed, as it is now supposed to happen in the background.

But in some circonstances, sync seems to happen in front, and not back ground.

F.ex. if you open a note, the old sync screen appears and you can't do anything until the sync finishes (like before background sync).

Regards,
Roger
Cerebrum
I have noticed the same thing: Sometimes the app displays the old sync screen. Seems to happen if I start navigating immediately after opening a brain.
Also, there is no background sync after adding or modifying a thought.
And, there should be immediate feedback after tapping the "cloud/sync" icon. As it is now, there's a noticeable delay before the icon changes to indicate that something is happening.
advisors
Also, once the sync has reached the "Server progress: 100%, Finished export" it remains there a very long time (many minutes).

I understand the sync may need to do some cleanup, but when a processes reaches 100% you expect it to be finished / to finish shortly.

It maybe be worth adding a "cleaning up" step before showing the "100%, Finished export" ?
Harlan
Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, the UI for sync has changed, but not the underlying sync logic.

Regarding the messages, as you may know, version 9.1 contains significant improvements to the sync status, addressing many things including the misleading "server progress: 100%" (which means the server is done, not the local client). These improvements will be making their way to the iOS client also shortly.

The old sync messages should not appear unless it is the first sync of a brain (when the brain has not yet been opened) but it seems they are indeed appearing during editing of a note, while viewing the attachments list and in other cases. We will address this in a future release.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Also, there is no background sync after adding or modifying a thought.

The background sync happens when a brain is opened and again every 5 minutes (this applies to iOS as well as the desktop clients). If you wish to sync immediately, tap the icon.

> And, there should be immediate feedback after tapping the "cloud/sync" icon. As it is now, there's a noticeable delay before the icon changes to indicate that something is happening.

Yes, we will improve this soon.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software