Cerebrum
With the recent introduction of multiple notes in TB11, there are now four types of attachments that can be linked to a thought:
  1. URL, e.g. http://www.google.com
  2. External attachment, e.g. c:\users\username\documents\workbook.xlsx
  3. Internal attachment, e.g. workbook.xlsx stored in the Thought's folder
  4. Notes, which are basically internal attachments that can be modified in the TB Notes editor.
These items show up in a list and they don't show up in the Plex, which is good in that they don't clutter up the Plex but bad because then we're missing the essence of TheBrain: the graphical representation of connected info. So, instead of adding attachments, I can create new Thoughts and link them to an existing Thought and they will be displayed in the Plex but they won't show up in a compact list of attachments. What's the best way of adding and displaying info that is related to other info?

There's a similar issue when there are many linked Thoughts. I offered this suggestion two years ago:
Quote:
t would be nice to have a report-like format that is similar to Evernote Views (Snippet, List and Card) and to be able to activate that view for the currently-selected thought. It would be similar to a Report but with more info: Date created/modified, one or two lines of the Notes, and/or a preview of the first attachment.
So, whether I'm viewing connected thoughts or attachments (and Events), it would be nice to have the option of viewing them in the Plex or in a list.

My suggestion implies that Attachments and Events should behave like Thoughts, which also implies that they could be linked to more than one Thought, which I think is a good idea. 
metta
@Cerebrum ~

You wrote: "These items show up in a list and they don't show up in the Plex, which is good in that they don't clutter up the Plex but bad because then we're missing the essence of TheBrain: the graphical representation of connected info."

IMHO, this is part of the great versatility in TheBrain.
  • I frequently want to link different, but related, items (as separate thoughts) in order to take advantage of the visual (graphical) connections TheBrain provides
  • However, there are almost as many cases where I want multiple attachments on one thought, without the visual clutter in the plex associated with multiple thoughts densely linked. (For example, multiple screenshots from one webinar are, in most cases, all attached to one thought. I would rarely, if ever, need a graphical representation of connecting links for all these images.)
You wrote: "whether I'm viewing connected thoughts or attachments (and Events), it would be nice to have the option of viewing them in the Plex or in a list."
> We do currently have a list view for our attachments, which can be used as an alternative for the tabbed display
-- What do you need that this list view does not provide?

You wrote: "My suggestion implies that Attachments and Events should behave like Thoughts, which also implies that they could be linked to more than one Thought, which I think is a good idea."
> My standard assumption is that anytime I want an attachment to be linked to 2 thoughts, I simply create a thought for this attachment and then link it up accordingly.
-- Is there any reason this option does not work for your use case?
> As for linking events to multiple thoughts, I can imagine this would be a very useful -- and this feature request has been documented.

Also, in the context of this discussion, I just now noticed a feature that seems to have disappeared somewhere along the way.
> In the past we used to be able to hover over the icon on the active thought, and a list of all the attachments would automatically display.
> Now, I can no longer access this list with or without an assigned thought type/icon. To TheBrain Team:
-- When was this feature removed -- and, is there any chance it will be restored at some point in the future?
-- Or should this attachment list display function still be working now?
DavidGretzschel

@Cerebrum 
Attachments can already be linked to more than one thought. Or at least this works when you drag&drop a folder as child-thought into the Plex, when you are having 'Link to dropped files' set in the content-setting under preferences.
Works for other files as well, I believe. Not gonna go try out all the dozens of different permutations here, that you could mean, but you seem to describe is what I'm already having.
TB11 notices the redundancy and asks if it should be added anyway (see the screensnip).

Click image for larger version - Name: multiAttachedFolder.png, Views: 89, Size: 853.04 KB
DavidGretzschel

ah..... I think that's not quite what you mean, I think.

But if you add a second, third or whatever note to a thought, you can right-click it and select "view in explorer".
It's called "myLovelyMultiNote.md" or whatever you called it.
Then you can add that as an attachment to another thought.
You wont be able to tell, from which Thought the note originated.
I just tested that.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

DavidGretzschel

Tested it for 1,2 and 4. I'm assuming that a linked file/folder counts under 2 as an "external attachment".
Also gives me the "already heere, you really want to add"-warning with 1. That's ok.
So to be more about my post before:
The additional "notes" that you are now able to add in TB11 aren't notes in the sense of definition 4.
They actually are files in a thought-folder. So they would fall under 3.
But if I add them again to another thought, they should actually be linked, since that's how my settings treat them,
so they should be both 2 and 3 at the same time. 
I don't really know what's actually going on then I guess ðŸ™ƒ
But | think this is working like you asked for?

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

metta
Wow. Thanks, @David, for pointing out the option of putting a thought folder in the plex.

I had never tried that -- and, as I think about it now, I'm wondering: what kind of havoc might be wrought if one accidentally (or intentionally) tried to move attached (linked) thought folder into TheBrain? (I'm reluctant to try and find out for fear of breaking something!)

My assumption is that moving (importing) the linked folder would remove it from the thought to which it was originally assigned -- and I can't imagine that would be a good thing.....

Any thoughts?
Cerebrum
Looks like I made this more complicated than I originally planned ...

I'm addressing one main point: Info can be in lists or it can be arranged graphically. I'm suggesting that all info in the Brain -- Thoughts, Attachments, Events -- should be available in both formats.

In the Plex, we already have Thoughts and (optionally) Types.  Sometimes there are hundreds of Child Thoughts and it's very difficult to get an overview of those thoughts in the Plex. It would be nice to see a list of all the Child Thoughts, along with being able to sort in various ways, and see a preview of the Notes.

In lists linked to a Thought, we have Attachments and Events but those items aren't visible in the Plex. One reason is that they can't be linked to more than one Thought so the Plex wouldn't offer the advantage that's available for linked thoughts, namely, the ability to view the relationships among thoughts.

One way of linking an Event to more than one Thought would be by having a fourth gate, on the right, along modifying the database structure to allow a many-to-many relationship between Thoughts and Events. I doubt that this ever happen. There's been practically no development on the Event/Timeline function for the past two years and no changes from TB10 to TB11. 

As for attachments in the Plex, I often have to decide on the best way of adding an attachment: Should I add it directly to the Thought or should I create a Child Thought? Each one has advantages and disadvantages. Perhaps there's a way of having both ways.

@DavidGretzschel,
Thanks for your research. Yes, you can create the same external attachments for multiple thoughts but only by having multiple copies of the external attachment. And, by "attachment", I am referring to the entity that is visible in the list of attachments linked to a thought, not to the underlying file. Each attachment exists independently. If you modify an attachment for one Thought, the other (previously identical) attachments for the other Thoughts are not modified. This is not the case with linked Thoughts. Each Thought exists only once, no matter how many other Thoughts are linked to it.

@metta,
Thanks for your comments and your questions. I think that I've answered your questions with my comments above.

There's also this: "My standard assumption is that anytime I want an attachment to be linked to 2 thoughts, I simply create a thought for this attachment and then link it up accordingly."
This implies that, if you don't want an attachment to be linked to two thoughts, you simply add the attachment to a thought without creating a Child Thought. Fine, that's also what I do. But what happens when tomorrow, or next month or next year you realize that the attachment is related to another thought? You have two choices:
1. Add the attachment to the other thought, after getting the warning that it already exists. You now have two attachments and, if you modify one, the other one will not be modified.
2. Create a third thought, move the attachment from Thought #1, and link the new thought to Thought #1 and Thought #2.
Imagine if that's what you had to do every time that you linked a thought to an existing thought. ÃƒÆ’°Å¸ËœÂ®
You have to do something similar if you want to link an Event to more than one Thought.

As for this: "what kind of havoc might be wrought if one accidentally (or intentionally) tried to move attached (linked) thought folder into TheBrain?"
It's easy to test by creating a sample Thought and a sample folder. Your assumption is correct: Moving the linked folder removes it from the thought to which it was originally assigned. You get a folder named with the original thought's GUID, nested within a folder with the new thought's GUID. 

Anyway, thanks again.

Edited.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software