gabebega
Hello,

i have just downloaded and installed 4.3.0.3. Upon start I was informed that the database will be upgraded with not revert possible.
It went fine for 2 pass but hang for 30 minutes on the first item of pass 3.
I decided to kill the app.

Now when I start PB, I can see that all attachment are missing in the Thought. They are anyway present in the Thought folder.

Can I re-trigger the database generation?
vicanto
try:
insert attached PersonalBrain.vmoptions.txt file (harlan suggest
-Xmx256m value but I use -Xmx512m because without 512 conversion stops) in program folder and try again.

I have a very large number of attachments, 10 GB  with many many many html files

gabebega
Thanks for the suggestion...

sorry but I need lidt extra help

1) I forgot to mention that I run PB for Mac OS X. Where should I put the file you have provided?

2) Will the presence of the file automatically trigger generation of the database next time I start PB?

vicanto
sorry I don't know.
I use windows
Harlan
Hi Gabe,

There was a problem with the conversion routine in 4.3.0.3 under Mac OS... It has been fixed now in version 4.3.0.5. Please download the new version.

To make PB redo the conversion, delete the "brain_db" folder that is inside your "BRAINNAME_brain" folder.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,
-Harlan
punkmonksf
Beautiful!! 4.3.0.5 converted without problem. The conversion dialogue was very helpful and everything imported without issue.

Wow... this is an amazing update. The speed is impressive! Your hard work is very appreciated!

Thanks Harlan,
Karekin
gabebega
Harlan wrote:
Hi Gabe, There was a problem with the conversion routine in 4.3.0.3 under Mac OS... It has been fixed now in version 4.3.0.5. Please download the new version. To make PB redo the conversion, delete the "brain_db" folder that is inside your "BRAINNAME_brain" folder. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks a lot it worked perfectly. No need to use a custom PersonalBrain.vmoptions.txt

ibsteve
Just wanted to feed back that with 4305 the conversion went well.

Thanks Harlan!
vicanto
4.3.0.5 still error
I use PB portable (zip)
bmac
If 4303 did not convert correctly (from a 42XX version) and 4305 was installed on top of 4303, did it catch and correct the errors made by 4303?

The reason I ask is that every now and then I find an empty thought where I was sure I had an attachment - but none is there. I can't prove this however. I get a bad feeling in my stomach that maybe - just maybe - PB4 sputtered and something happened to the attachment. Another example - I had a virtual folder in 42XX that no longer is shown in 4305.

Is there any chance there a diagnostic program available within the halls of PB that will scour PB to determine -
1. what thoughts have no parents or children.
2. what links have been broken.
3. what folders within the PB file structure are not shown as thoughts.

Bill
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
BSTD
Bill,
I don't know if this is related to your problem... I noticed after moving up to 4305 thoughts with only one attachment consistently did not show the icon for it. Clicking on the thought did not bring up the "open attachment" window nor started the external applocation. But this is only a visual problem, as the attachment is listed correctly under the "properties and attachment" tab of the thought. It can be opened from there.
Again, this does not relate to thoughts with multiple attachments: Only regular behavior there.
Screenshot: This is a thought with only one attachment - a URL. Note it does not show as icon in the plex, but on the list anyway.
-Ben

Click image for larger version - Name: Clipboard01.jpg, Views: 80, Size: 36.81 KB
Harlan
bmac wrote:
If 4303 did not convert correctly (from a 42XX version) and 4305 was installed on top of 4303, did it catch and correct the errors made by 4303?

No, if you had errors in your first conversion, you must re-convert using the newer build. (Close PB, backup everything, delete the brain_db folder, and re-open in PB)

bmac wrote:

Is there any chance there a diagnostic program available within the halls of PB that will scour PB to determine -
1. what thoughts have no parents or children.
2. what links have been broken.
3. what folders within the PB file structure are not shown as thoughts.

See Report > Orphan Thoughts for #1.

#2 is on the feature request list.
#3 should never happen unless you have been manually creating folders there(which you shouldn't do)

Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
BSTD wrote:
I noticed after moving up to 4305 thoughts with only one attachment consistently did not show the icon for it.

I believe the source of this problem is a piece of software that you had was uninstalled or is not available on the machine you are currently on. This is automatically detected and fixed by 4306.
Regards,
-Harlan
bmac
Harlan,

thanks for your reply suggesting the use of reports to identify orphaned thoughts. I had not realized they were there (shame on me) but this brings up a question: how do thoughts become orphans assuming that the user is not doing that deliberately?
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
Harlan
A thought becomes an orphan when it is unlinked from all its other connections. This may happen directly by unlinking it, or by deleting the thoughts it is connected to. (A thought will not become an orphan without direct user action.)
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software