rengel
The context menu of types doesn't contain an entry for assigning a tag. Why not?
If you select (one ore more) types it IS possible to assign tags to the selected types. But ...
Then, if you search for an assigned tag, no (type) thoughts are shown.
Do I have to understand this?

Why is this important?
Because it still is not possible to copy the types, and only the types, from one brain to another, I'm looking for a way, to reuse a type hierarchie (including color settings) in a new brain.
(And no: I don't want to create a template brain with only the categories.) I'm just looking for a decent way to copy (say about fifty) types.

Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
rhodes
Unless things have changed in v6, the design philosophy still seems to be that you can't create a type on its own without approaching it from within an existing thought's properties, then assigning a new type to it. Likewise with tags. Once you create a tag, the active Thought is automatically tagged with it, whether you wanted it to be or not.

On the other hand, once you've created a new type or tag, you can detach it from all thoughts so that it stands alone. Personally I can't understand the logic behind this. It would seem more reasonable to be able to create a new type or tag without requiring it to be latched to an existing thought. In that way you could copy just the type or tag across to other Brains, as you suggest.
Alan Rhodes
zenrain
@rhodes, Type functionality has changed significantly in 6.x.

@rengel
I think you've discovered a bug!
As far as I can tell, you shouldn't be able to assign a tag to a thought type. The only place I've found that I can do that is when multiple types are in the selection window as you pointed out.
Note that when you have Type as the active thought, the tag boxes in the tags window are greyed out. 

To copy Types (and only types) from one brain to another, use the thought type window (Options > Thought Types Window) or instant search to activate each type, and ctrl+ click to add it to the selection window. When done, right click the selection window and choose Copy Selected Thoughts. then open your other brain and paste Thoughts. 
Basically, you just treat them as normal thoughts, and copy and paste. This is new to ver. 6.x.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
rhodes
Thanks zenrain for the update. I think I'll wait till they fix this bug.
Alan Rhodes

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software