vicanto

I want the possibility to index many more file types in Thebrain (like the dtsearch program, or the docfetcher program ..). Today Thebrain indexes .doc, .pdf and a few other formats, but it is obvious that to me, user of the program, it would be better if when I do a search the program sends me as a result also the content of all the file types that I have attached in Thebrain, not just certain types of files.
mcaton
Thanks for posting.  TheBrain uses Windows Desktop Search and Spotlight to make the indexing and search results light and fast in the application.  Is there a file type that your OS is indexing, but it is not showing up in a Brain search?

Thank you,
Matt
zenfrog
@undefined@mcaton

I just posted this  https://forums.thebrain.com/post/search-across-all-brainsglobal-search-10466802?pid=1311067905

If I am searching for a text snippet across multiple Brains, in a note somewhere,  - on MacOS - is going straight to spotlight a better bet?

My #ThinkFlow System (not “WorkFlow”)  is in 5 parts:
Evernote | Ayoa TheBrain11Walks in NatureMind Mapping with Ink

macOS/iOS

Resident of a small island, the size of the average American parking lot; the land of cricket, tea & warm beer 🏏 ☕️ 🍺 

mcaton
Hmmm... It's an option. I know you recently mentioned switching over to multiple, smaller, topic specific Brains.  I'm in that camp too.  If you have multiple Brains, you would obviously need to search each Brain individually. However, since each Brain was created by me, manually, one thought at a time, it's usually not hard to know where to go to find info.  I hope you'll have the same experience. For example, if I'm searching for info on a customer or product that a WORK with, I'll know to open my Work Brain... If I'm searching for woodworking info, I know to open my recreational Brain.  I have several other Brain Databases, but I think I always know which Brain is going to hold the content that I'm looking for.  If that were not the case, then yes, maybe a system search would do the trick.

Thanks,
Matt
DavidGretzschel
@zenfrog
@mcaton
Might I ask why people split their Brains like that?
What's the main advantage over just letting each topic be a seperate tree, if seperation is desired?
Seperate Plex-styles, Note formatting, home-thoughts, space savings if many big files are involved, polluted searchspaces (though that's what you explicitly want merged....).

I don't really understand the appeal.
If I could make a subset (or maybe a tree) of my Brain public/shared, with the rest being accessible only by me, I'd not have a seperate TheBrain-Brain.
(which is in a permanent state of disrepair, unless I feel particularly inspired and do some bursts of maintenance, simply because it's inconvenient that it is in another Brain)

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~ I'm actually in the "one brain" group, for quite a few reasons (not the least of which is unified search) -- and this has been my strategy ever since I started using TheBrain

However, I can imagine several reasons why individual brains might be useful:
> Different brains allow users to maintain different sets of pins, which can make a huge difference in managing thought access.
> Although I don't use the timeline, I can imagine it might be helpful to maintain separate timelines for tracking work/personal events.
> If a user has an occasion to share a work brain with others, even just informally, it would (in most cases) be preferable to have personal thoughts in another (private) brain.

Will be interested in what other multiple-brain users say in response to your question, David, since I only create  additional (multiple) brains when testing new brain releases and when sharing topical resources with others. Otherwise, everything else goes into my one megabrain.
mcaton
My reasoning comes down to sharing.  It's more than just Professional Brain vs. Recreational Brain.  For example, I share a Recipe Brain with my wife, but she has no interest in my woodworking... so that is in a different Brain. 

Matt
zenfrog

@mcaton @metta  @DavidGretzschel

My reasoning is similar to Matts. Although I am not currently sharing a Brain with anyone, the compartmentalisation kind of helps - role dependant,

I have a Brain for all thing Autism Spectrum, in that I also log relevant info about the social club I run, locally for autistic adults. I like to log birthdays and other useful dates which can sync with Google Cal, get’ its own Cal, this way; I won’t forget one of my guys birthdays! 

Another Brain for my PhD work (biomimetics), I log a lot of date related stuff there, so it too can have its own feed.

Have a collection of other Brains, for various other projects, eg family tree (discovered a whole branch in the US I didn’t know about), or my interest in computer history. 

Think my plan is to merge them into a master Archive Brain when any topic becomes ‘Archive Stage” but until then I try and keep some space between. 

Evernote serves as my general level repository for summaries of information - plain text export of selected thoughts out of the Brain ,so thoughts tags & notes into an EN note for quick reference. Progressive Summarisation is the process https://fortelabs.co/blog/progressive-summarization-a-practical-technique-for-designing-discoverable-notes

My #ThinkFlow System (not “WorkFlow”)  is in 5 parts:
Evernote | Ayoa TheBrain11Walks in NatureMind Mapping with Ink

macOS/iOS

Resident of a small island, the size of the average American parking lot; the land of cricket, tea & warm beer 🏏 ☕️ 🍺 

metta
@zenfrog ~

Thanks so much for the update! Very much appreciate learning more about your use of TheBrain. ðŸ™‚

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software