dcb_oz
Version 5.0.2.6 with Indexing Libararies Feb 24, 2009.

For some reason today PB has decided to index all my web pages, despite being told not to in the options.

David

Moe
dcb_oz, Thanks for the post.  I was able to test this feature and it is working correctly in 5.0.2.6.  What indicator are you receiving that makes you think that PB is indexing your URL attachments. 

Best regards,
Moe

dcb_oz
It was slow. And the status in the top right saying indexing xx of yy pages was a bit of a giveaway.
Moe
dcb_oz, Can you try the following to test and see if perhaps PB is indexing your URL attachments when you have it set not to.

1. Make a new Brain.
2. Set Preferences > Search > Index URL attachments to off by unchecking it.
3. Go ahead and drag and drop a URL from a web page into the plex. 
4. Check to see if a file is created in the _brain folder for the new Brain you just created under the subdirectory called txt.  If a file is created which contains the indexing information this shows that PB is clearly not following the setting correctly.  If not then it is working properly.

Is perhaps what you are seeing
Quote:
It was slow. And the status in the top right saying indexing xx of yy pages was a bit of a giveaway.

happening after you tell PB to update search index when opening your Brain from a Brainzip which contains URLs in it.

Best regards,
Moe

dcb_oz
I followed your instructions and no txt directory was present (note it is present for the other brain).

This wasn't a brainzip situation.

David

Moe
dcb_oz, Thank you for the the post. The no presence of the txt directory confirms that PB is following directions and not indexing URLs when told not to.  If you have ever had the indexing option turned on then the txt directory would be present so that is probably why you are seeing the txt directory in your other Brain. 

Best regards,
Moe
dcb_oz
Thanks Moe.

David

dcb_oz
Hi Moe,

I'm coming back to this as it's happened again where nothing has changed on the system. For several days I've been copying a brain back and forth from one PC to another using a brainzip and each time I'm asked to rebuild the search index. I understand this is normal.

This morning after rebuilding the search index the brain decided to index web pages as well and create a txt directory.

No options have been changed. Index web pages is off.

Ideas on how else I can track this down?

David

dcb_oz
dcb_oz wrote:
Hi Moe,

I'm coming back to this as it's happened again where nothing has changed on the system. For several days I've been copying a brain back and forth from one PC to another using a brainzip and each time I'm asked to rebuild the search index. I understand this is normal.

This morning after rebuilding the search index the brain decided to index web pages as well and create a txt directory.

No options have been changed. Index web pages is off.

Ideas on how else I can track this down?

David

A bit more info. Shut down PB, deleted the txt directory and restarted. No indexing. What caused it to come back?
Moe
dcb_oz, Thank you for the post.  I did some testing on our end and you don't have to worry about anything it is not indexing your urls when you rebuild search index after opening a Brainzip even though it is reporting this.  I have notified our engineers about this.

Best regards,
Moe

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software