Woodlander
I need to associate a thought with a particular date which can subsequently be searched for by date.
For example I might wish to add an invoice 'thought ' to-day but wish to associate with it the actual date of the invoice which might be a month ago.

How do I do it?

Best wishes. John M.

zenrain
Here's a few ideas:
  • Create a set of date specific thoughts for the year. some people use daily, I use weekly. For this instance I believe daily would be best. If you decide to use the parent-thought-as-a-date route, I would strongly advise doing yyyy-mm-dd format, that way it will order correctly in the plex. You can then link the invoice thought as a child to the date thought. As an added bonus, this setup isn't limited to invoices, you can link all kinds o' stuff and have a timeline/diary/work tracking system. This method will also allow you to instant search by the date to pull it up quickly.
  • Use parent thoughts for dates, the same as above, but only for the specific dates you need. You can then link them as a year thought, and browse by invoice dates and then see the invoices associated with them. This still allows you to instant search the dates, and doesn't have as much overhead for setting up daily thoughts.
  • Put the date in either the notes or the thought label. This won't require any date thought setup, but won't be searchable in instant search. However, it will show up under the extended or advanced search. To view the date, you will have to mouseover the thought.
  • You can also create a calendar entry for the invoice. The text of the event is searchable in extended search, but there is no visual clue that you have an event linked to the thought unless you are viewing the calendar tab.
Edit: If interested in creating the dates automatically, here's a forum thread. Also, here's a link to some more detail on my dates setup.
Edit 2: Forgot about the Calendar tab. Updated the list.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Spacenexus
Maybe some useful info here too: http://forums.thebrain.com/post/PB-as-agenda-2035280

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
zenrain
Oooh, nice find! I've added this to the PB User KB WebBrain. Hmm, I guess I'll have to change it's name soon.

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Woodlander
Your suggestions are much appreciated, I will work something out f rom them,

Best wishes,
John M.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software