VgnFrnd
Hi. I have been using PersonalBrain since 2002. I have recently switched my primary workstations over to Linux using the PCLinuxOS distribution. I was excited to see that PersonalBrain is available on Linux, and I would like to install it. However, I am not sure how to proceed.

The reason I am cautious is because I have broken my installation before by installing software from outside an official repository. So, if anyone can give me some pointers about how best to install PersonalBrain on PCLinuxOS, I would appreciate any help or advice I can get.

For example, there is only one file in the download. Am I to understand that the installer can package the program correctly for any type of distribution format?

jostber
I think you can be pretty safe for this installation, it should not conflict with your OS if you install it as user. Some tips for installation on Suse 10.3 is here:

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2414886

I use PB on Suse 10.2 and it works very nicely.

For a shortcut to a quick installation, open a terminal and enter this command:

wget http://www.thebrain.com/site/personalbrain/download/download.jsp?id=25&userID=399798 

and this:

sh  *4_1_3_5.sh

Then just follow the instructions for install.

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
jengar
Hi,
I am using PCLINUXOS latest version and installed standard download Brain 4 with no problems. Once you have unzipped and installed you will see the Brain icon - PersonalBrain sitting here system:/home/PersonalBrain. Create a new "link to Application to this. Mine contains
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=PersonalBrain
Exec=/bin/sh "/home/copcutt/PersonalBrain/PersonalBrain"
Icon=/home/copcutt/PersonalBrain/.install4j/PersonalBrain.png
Categories=Application;

Running this will open up the new Brain window with your details. From there it is simply a matter of entering your registration details and a way you go.

I copied from my Windows XP on HDA1 my MS Brain that I wanted to use in PCLINUXOS with all sub directories and files scripts etc. Just wack it across. Then create using your pclinos opened Brain a new Brain with the same name as the Folder name Brain that you copied but leave of "_Brain" suffix. Bingo Brain will go Gotchya and fire up with everything as it was under MS xp.

Hope this helps

GaryC
Gary Copcutt. Snr. Pt.
Jengar Consultants
61 (0)424044847

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software