mikesingleton
Is there a tutorial explaining "Rebuild Instant Activation Index". I recently had an issue where the instant activation feature was not finding previous thoughts - I rebuilt the instant activation index and it now appears to be working. I am wondering why this issue happened as it is the first time I have noticed it. Should the instant activation index be rebuilt periodically or is this not normally required?
Also would be interested in learning more about the "rebuild search index" and if this requires periodic rebuild.
Mike 
pthompson
Mike,

No, once it is run, there should be no need to run it again unless you are opening a new BrainZip or downloading a copy of the Brain from the cloud. New information is automatically indexed.
jiffle
I've had a similar issue where Instant Activation wasn't picking up new thoughts, but I wasn't (and still am not) sure whether it wasn't doing it at all, or was just lagging for some reason. My 'workaround' (if you can call it that) was to go to Preferences setting for Accelerator keys and assign a function key to the Utility function to rebuild the Instant Activation list, which at least makes the refresh process much easier.
cneiman
Instant Activation and Search are not picking up any new thoughts (in the last week). I've had to rebuild the Activation index after every few thoughts I enter. Something appears to be amiss. (Am running 8.0.2.2. I have 37,500 thoughts and 200,000 links).
metta
This has been a randomly occurring issue in my megabrain for months now.....maybe even a year or more. I'm not sure what factors are at play here, but it seems that the indexing on some of my MUCH older thoughts is lost.

I've also found that the instant activation search is sometimes case sensitive, and other times the case doesn't seem to matter.

Same goes for initial special characters: sometimes I have to include them in my search, other times it doesn't seem to be necessary.
mcaton
Special characters definitely are needed for the instant activation search.  The instant activation search is also not case sensitive - so that shouldn't be a factor.

Also, if you've recently imported content into your Brain - you'll need to rerun the instant search and a full content re indexing as well.

Thanks,
Matt
metta
Thanks for your prompt feedback, Matt.

For whatever it may be worth, I just now tested my instant activation search in my megabrain and confirmed that initial special characters are not always needed -- and I can confirm that I've run into many instances during the past year when case sensitivity DID make a difference in being able to bring up a thought in the instant activation search.

Also, am I correct in understanding (from your feedback above) that when content is constantly being added into a brain, I should routinely run both of the following utilities?
> Rebuild Instant Activation Index
> Rebuild Search Index

The reason I ask is that TheBrain itself says that we should not need to rebuild the search index unless we have been experiencing problems.
pthompson
metta,

It should not be required to constantly run these utilities. If you are needing to do this, it is most likely a sign of a bigger problem with your database(s). Any new information entered into a Brain should automatically be indexed and readily available for searching.
metta
Thanks for confirming, Patrick. You and I have actually spent time troubleshooting this issue in the past, along with the problems I've been having with the advanced search and, unfortunately, rebuilding the database did not solve either set of problems.

Eventually, I think we concluded my only other option would be to zip my megabrain (20,415 thoughts) and send it to the engineers to evaluate, and I'm just not prepared to do that yet, given how much private information is embedded in my megabrain....

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software