BrentK
When I type 5.0 into the Instant Activation box, TB shows Thoughts with names like "2012-05 Name".  I don't expect to see these Thoughts because 0 does not follow 5 in the names.  Is this working properly?

Thanks,
Brent
pthompson
Brent

Try searching for "5." instead. Let me know if this works for you.
BrentK

Hi Patrick.  I get the same results both with and without quotes.  

After testing this a few more times, I see that TB ignores the dot/period and interprets "5.0" (with or without quotes) as being two words, "5" and "0".  At first I thought that this was due to TB treating the dot as a wildcard, but I get the same results both with and without a dot.

And just to be sure that we're looking at the same thing, I'm not pressing enter after typing these characters.  I'm just typing them and viewing the results in IA's pop-up window.

Brent

pthompson
Interesting. I was able to get the results I believe you are trying to accomplish by using only "5." (without the quotes):

BrentK
Patrick, my goal was to locate Thoughts with 5.0 in their names.  Typing only 5. does locate 5.0, but it would also locate 5.1, etc, which is not what I wanted to do. 

If you type 5.0 you'll (hopefully) see both '5.0' and '2012-05 Name', in which case you would have duplicated the situation I've posted about (i.e., TB seems to replace the dot with a space when something else is typed beyond the dot).

Brent

pthompson
Brent,

Thanks for the additional information. I see what you mean now. I will check with our developers on this.
BrentK
Patrick, have any decisions been made about how to handle this situation?

Brent
pthompson
Brent,

If you need to find a specific Thought that contains a period (5.2 for example) or any other symbol, you can use a wildcard holder.

Example:

Searching for 5.2, I would type 5%2

Searching for 5.3, I would type 5%3
BrentK
Patrick, please understand that I don't have an issue finding Thoughts...I have an issue finding TOO MANY Thoughts.

When I type (for example) 5.0 in the Instant Activation box, a list of Thoughts appear that have 5 and 0 ANYWHERE in their names...even if they're not connected by a period.  An example is "2012-05".  This name should not be listed.

I can understand if TB has a wildcard character for listing Thoughts.  But it seems that every non-alphanumeric character (including space) is a wildcard.  If a character can be used in a Thought name, I think that it shouldn't be regarded as a wildcard.  So please ask development to have TB regard the period "." as a normal (non-wildcard) character when typed in the instant activation box.  Maybe the wildcard should be a comma?
pthompson
Brent,

Thanks for the additional information. I'll have our engineers look into this further.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software