RLPopeIII
I am new to the forums here, but I have bopped around and seen several posts that talk about MS OneNote as somewhat of a competing technology to PB.

I would like to to use the two applications together.  I look as OneNote as a tool to capture my personal thoughts, and notes from class.  PB is more like my library and knowledgebase, collecting websites, files and a quick link to directories.

Ideally, I would capture notes in class in OneNote.  If there is a reference to to a file or link, it would be great to place a link to a thought in PB in OneNote (or any other file for that matter).

Does PB have the capability to link to thoughts from external programs?

Additionally, is anyone using PB and OneNote together?

Cheers,

Ren Pope
mlapointe
I use both OneNote and Personal Brain. I work with it in two ways:  the first is for new notes; the second is to link Thoughts to Notes from the huge notebook I'd assembled before I started using Personal Brain.

1. New Notes:  Start from the Plex, and create a new thought with a new One Note document as an attachment. Simple and fast, especially when you're searching for information. Although it  doesn't leave OneNote with the cleanest hierarchy.

2. Old Notes: Navigate to the OneNote folder and individual files, and drag folders or files into the Plex as attachments. 

Harlan
It's worth mentioning that you can link from PB to specific notes inside of OneNote (not just files) - right click on a page in OneNote and select Copy Link. This can then be pasted into PB.
Regards,
-Harlan
PaddyVA
I'm glad to see this thread on OneNote -- I asked a question in seminar today, before I saw this.  I'd like to see more discussion and development on integrating these two programs, like PB and Outlook are.

I don't see ON and PB as competing applications.  I think PB could do a lot to open up the use of ON.

I tried the Copy Link to notes in OneNote and it does work.  Just to be clear, it's "Copy Hyperlink to this paragraph" (at least in OneNote 2007), and it seems to help to highlight the words that are being linked to -- otherwise, just choosing a point in the paragraph seems to greatly increase the time for PB to pull up that point in OneNote.

Wouldn't it be great to have an add-in for OneNote that sends a link or copy to PB -- like the OneNote add-ins do for Outlook and Internet Explorer?  And vice versa one in PB to send to ON?

And wouldn't it be great to have add-ins for Outlook and IE to send to PB?  Would need an "Unfiled Thoughts" area in PB for them to go to, or a drop down menu to send them as children to specific PB thoughts.

Pat
PaddyVA
I found the following post on a OneNote blog --shows that there are links between OneNote and MindManager.  (Nothing like competition to spur development!)  I couldn't find any notes on Personal Brain in the blog.

Friday, January 12, 2007 3:39 PM DavidRasmussen

Mind Manager meets OneNote

We've met a number of users who use MindManager for mind maps. It's still a small niche of people, but they tend to be creative and enthusiastic visual thinkers, who are enthusiastic about OneNote too. They often wish for a better connection between OneNote and MindManager. Well our friends over at Mindjet have delivered a cool tool to do just that. The OneNote 2007 + MindManager tool provides three functions:

• OneNote 2007 Send To MindManager
  • OneNote Hyperlinks in MindManager
  • OneNote Notebook Hierarchy Mapping

In their own words, you can:

• From MindManager, easily map out the OneNote Notebooks, Sections, and Pages, including hyperlinks to the notebooks, sections, and pages:
  • From MindManager, send the current map to OneNote as an image that you can sketch on and annotate:
  • From OneNote, send a page to MindManager as a hyperlinked topic:

There are some screenshots on the site that give you a better idea of what it does. And you can download it for free to try it out if you have MindManager.

Filed under: OneNote

Comments

<snip>

Pasted from <http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/david_rasmussen/archive/2007/01/12/mind-manager-meets-onenote.aspx>

PaddyVA
See new additional discussion on OneNote and PB links here:
http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2890563

Pat
hawker1009
I have a question about using onenote links along with PB on 2 different computers. I put all the PB files, as well as all the one note files on a single flash drive that I carry around from one computer to the next. Anytime I launch PB, it is from the flash drive.

I also do the same for one note. I am able to launch specific onenote files from ONLY the original computer where the URL from onenote was placed in PB.  Anytime I am at another computer and try and launch the onenote file from PB, there is an error message saying that "PB cannot locate the file", even though all files are on the same flash drive.

I figured if all the files, including the onenote folders and files were on the same flash drive as the PB files, and I launched PB from the flash drive that PB would find the onenote files. I noticed that one of the problems is that on my home computer, every time I place the flash drive in the usb slot it shows up as a different drive on my control panel. Sometimes it is an E drive, or F drive etc. I think this might me my issue. So basically every time I plug the flash drive on my computer at home, it always shows up as a different drive, hence messing up my ability of PB to access those onenote URL's from PB.

Any advice on this issue will be greatly appreciated,

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software