aaron_m Show full post »
dkendrick
This thread is coming up on it's second anniversary. Just how long does it take to develop an IOS app?  Obviously either 1) you do not see mobile computing as a strategic platform, 2) you've run into some issue with the use of your technology on mobile platforms, or 3) you think that your web solution is good enough.  Which is it?
zenrain
I get the impression it's #2, as it's been mentioned several times they are working on it and to watch the newsletter for announcements.

Thus far I've been hitting send/receive on my e-mail approximately 1,867 times per day, but nothing yet.

macOS 10.14.5
TheBrain 10.0.51
pthompson
We are working on our iOS application and Android applications as much as we can, while fixing bugs, and working on updates and upgrades. We want to ensure that we release the best product possible so we can to avoid disappointment and a slew of bug reports. We can release the product as it is now, but we would much rather work on it and test the applications until we are confident in them, 100%. We appreciate everyone's patience and understanding. We are anxiously awaiting the release of these applications just as much as everyone else.
shakennotstirred
Patrick,

Appreciate the candid response, and glad to hear the Android and iOS apps are still in the works.   And when/if you decide to go to beta, I'm sure there will be plenty of volunteers to give it a go.  Having a native app will be huge for PB, so here's to hoping for some good news in the new year!

Thanks,
Greg
dkendrick
Sounds to me like you are still using a waterfall development model. I would strongly suggest that you investigate Agile, the concept of continuous iterations, and MVP (minimum viable product). Creating product in a two year vacuum, with minimal customer visibility and input, and making it perfect is very dangerous and wasteful. Perhaps you are working on features and killing bugs on functionality that isn't even important to your customers.  I would venture to say that you have many early adopters among you customer base that would gladly work with you on a iterative process to get something out the door.  
damoski
Just dropped in again to see how this is going. I just spent 6 hours the other night fixing a OneNote sync nightmare, and am just about to upgrade Treepad Plus to Treepad Business in order to allow me to copy/paste nodes to a new, spring-cleaned database. I'm looking forward to the mobile app, as I could migrate directly from Treepad.

damoski
Another (semi-)pro, power-user productivity tool I use is MyLifeOrganized, in the same market as OmniFocus and Things. That's a one-man band, historically available only on Windows and PocketPC, and it's been interesting to watch the developer Andrey watch the smartphone market develop, consider developing an app, then as the market strengthened, commission developers to build the first iOS app. From there he developed the iPad app, then Android, alongside cloud sync, and all are now mature, polished apps that merit a place on my iOS dock. I imagine TheBrain is hopefully going through the same process.
zenrain
I would think so to. I'm also guessing that making as complex a product as TheBrain (and database) be intuitive and sync on mobile devices is a bit of a Herculean task.
macOS 10.14.5
TheBrain 10.0.51
Ardeet
TheBrain has some very, very loyal followers (myself included - I really like it). Two plus years of hope for, and suggestions about, getting this amazing product onto an equally amazing bit of hardware demonstrate that you have a passionately loyal community.

It is no exaggeration to say that if (when) I get TheBrain running smoothly on my iPad then I will feel like a soaring information spaceman! I see music apps like TC-11 and Borderlands that take touch interface to unexplored levels. I use constantly improving productivity apps like Evernote that slog along, workhorse-style, and consistently deliver reliable synchronisation and categorisation. I pick up my tablet and think, once again, how I'm not at my desk or laptop - I'm freer. I see children pick up the tablet and consider it ordinary.

At 50 years old this is literally science fiction coming true for me and I desperately want TheBrain to be part of that future.

I don't care that you're having difficulties with finishing the product - tell me! Don't leave me hanging. I'll still be here.

I don't care that things aren't ready yet - tell me! I can handle honesty and even disappointment. I'll still be here.

I don't care that it's not fully polished - show me some screen shots with "beta" plastered all over them. I'll still be here.

Continue to shut me out, treat me like I can't appreciate the enormity of your task and not give any genuine information? ... sadly ... I may no longer be there.
ThomasHoff
I have been a very, very loyal user of the brain since version 3 (which was a fat client C++ product - and still would be better than anything else today).  I love this product and it continues to amaze people who see it.  the iPad / IOS version of this application would be a great launching pad to expand the client base for this amazing product.  Please get out soon even in Beta so we can help provide feedback.  Good luck!
Ardeet
There may be a Flying Spaghetti Monster after all! Just posted this in the General forum:

"Just watched "The Brain Thought basics for iPad and iPhone" on TheBrain YouTube channel

Is this a teaser or slip up?

Either way it was exciting to see it running on an iPad."

It will be interesting to see if there is a response. More screenshots here http://ardeet.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/thebrain-released-for-ipad-and-iphone.html
GerSch
When will we see Tags and Types on iOS?
enkidu
Quote:

When will we see Tags and Types on iOS?

Eeeeasy ... don't rush things !!!
Let's have a beta 8.0.0.7.0.0.0.01 out first.
THEN we'll wait ;-)

cheers
enkidu
pthompson
Yes, it's true. We're getting closer to a release and the video was uploaded in our preparation of this. We still don't have an exact ETA at this time,

GerSch, types and tags will likely come later after release.
damoski
Ardeet wrote:

"Just watched "The Brain Thought basics for iPad and iPhone" on TheBrain YouTube channel

Is this a teaser or slip up?

Either way it was exciting to see it running on an iPad.

I was really pleased to see this too.

Admittedly - I probably won't use it now. I rarely use my iPad for work any more - I started using an HP Envy X2 which is a hybrid laptop/tablet on Windows 8 with similar battery life and portability to my iPad. I use The Brain in full desktop mode on it - a bonus of having full Windows. Admittedly a native iPad app would be much more pleasant to use than Windows in tablet mode, but my workflow is now to through things into OneNote as and when, and then clean and write into The Brain in full Windows.

I may switch back - we''ll see. Still, really good to see it's made it!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software