pbmember
Is it safe to let a new version of an application be downloaded to your computer in Beta form? What's your advice?

MAC User
mbaas
There is of course always a health-warning associated to betas, but my personal experience was has been very good: I've been using betas since I'm using PB (2007, after release of V4) and only once did I loose data - when I used an early beta which came with an explicit disclaimer from Harlan. But other than that, they behaved very nicely

And also: the recent betas all did not change data-formats any more, so could always go back to using previous (stable) versions without trouble.

I'd recommend to do a BrainZip (which is generally adviseable) before you start and then go ahead, jump into it

pbmember

Thanks for your good response. Any other experienced people out there?

MAC User
zenrain
I've had the same experience as mbaas.
Ditto on the brainzip prior to running a beta version. I'd also recommend always keeping a prior beta version handy if something is implemented and has an issue that's interfering with your PB use. That way you can always re-install the prior beta.
I think I've only needed to do that twice. That's one per year.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Shiiko
Generally not dangerous.  I've never lost information.   Worst thing may be that some functionality may not work for a bit; you then report it and the developers usually provide a quick solution to make it work.  You can stay a few versions behind if you want to feel some security. 
pbmember

I just bought 2 Apple computers (iMac and Macbook) after headaching with PC's for 20 years. I need security after many bad experiences which were more or less perpetual, and so I'm very protective of my new machines.
MAC User

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software