danlandrum
I'm a self employed entrepreneur in the music and publishing industry. I'm also an avid GTD user. I so want Personal Brain to be THE solution for tracking my multiple projects and their associated actions. I've scoured these forums and also participated in a couple of the webinars here.  I know it has been mentioned that boolean searches are coming for tags, but does anyone with TheBrain Technologies know when?  I was so excited to learn about PersonalBrain, but a little confounded to learn that we can't do this simple thing.

From reading these forums it is clear TheBrain Technologies gets hit with all kinds of ideas and requests on a daily basis.  Better tag searches, however, are essential to basic GTD methodology.  If I'm missing something and there's another way to accomplish basic GTD as PB now stands, please, point me in the right direction.

PB had to look very strong for me to take the time to delve into its possibilities.  It IS amazing, but, I'm thinking about abandoning it when my trial expires because of this one critical shortfall.  Those who seriously crank out the widgets in their particular fields don't have time to run redundant GTD systems. In other words where my projects (thoughts) are, my tasks will be also. Can you help me with real info about the addition of boolean tag searches?  Even if you're answer is "we don't know," I'd appreciate a response.

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
pvonk
I am also a GTD follower, however...

If I want to do my taxes on the computer, I could use a general purpose app like a spreadsheet (I did several decades ago) or I could use an app specifically created for taxes (which I now use).

Similarly, for GTD, I use OmniFocus (on a mac). There are quite a number of GTD apps for Windows/Mac and each has its supporters. I would suggest you look there. (You need such automated routines as weekly reviews, start and due dates, next task, projects vs. tasks, and nested projects at that (projects whose tasks are sequential vs those that are parallel). There are just too many special needs for GTD that a general app is not prepared to do.

PB on the other hand is king at doing other things such as aggregating and serving as a gateway to resources. The associations it provides are unique and help one discover or unearth information that has been forgotten.

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify - Thoreau
danlandrum
I appreciate your reply, but, please allow me to disagree.  I think why many  fail at GTD, or think their systems fail them, is precisely because they are looking for automation. 

The essence of GTD is the trusted capture system.  PersonalBrain is perfect for this.  Add a few macros, and it is always ready to grab what you throw at it, even if it isn't the foreground app.  When it comes to daily reviews and planning, and the all important weekly review, this is where PersonalBrain simply needs a better method of finding what has been captured. 

All the software I've seen that is designed specifically to do GTD insists you plug things into their format. These are linear systems.  PersonalBrain is non linear and works by causing you to use your wet brain and make decisions.  We don't need a system to prioritize and move things forward with automation.  We need a system that we can trust to capture all our thoughts and return them to us when we're planning and reviewing. PersonalBrain accomplishes the former and fails at the latter.  I wish someone from TheBrain Technologies would respond to my emails, or this thread - even if just to say they don't know when or if they'll implement boolean searches on tags. 

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Darkstar

dyslucksia wrote:
... if anything, we are given too many ways of doing things with hardly any guidance from the User Guide on good Brain design.

That's because a good brain, like art, is highly subjective to the observer.

Seriously, a brain that lets you do what you want is good, and one that doesn't, is bad. Anything else is just a matter of personal style or outlook. And we each have to find our own brain styles.
-Darkstar
jostber
Have you looked into the GTD thread? A lot of tips there:

http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=2744849

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software