jmopish
Hmmm, seems that my  last post, 2/24/11, in the thread "Saving expanded view causes all children to appear" 
which contained the comments below, has been removed. A reply from Zenrain, which i received in email, never appeared in the thread.

Thebrain forum is censored? If so, it is a sad commentary on Thebrain and Personalbrain.

parts of my post:

"the abysmal performance of expanded  view, and user interface deficiencies with normal view in pb is why i  have drifted away from it."

"too bad that they seem more concerned  with adding flashy features that look good in demos and advertising,  than providing simpler improvements that would make the program more  useful in day to day activities."
zenrain
I know I deleted my own reply. It was originally written prior to looking at your other posts, and then adjusted so it pointed to some suggestions you had made, and then subsequently deleted because on reflection I felt it didn't really add anything to the discussion.

I'm not sure about your post, sorry. I know posts have been deleted in the past, mainly related to a specific contributor, but I'm not aware that it's a common practice.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jmopish
zenrain,  i had gone back to the thread several times, wondering why your post didn't show, wondering why it wasn't there. then, the last time i looked i saw that my post was also missing.

i was going to reply to your post, hoping that it would explain my previous comment more fully. too bad. you may have thought that "it didn't really add anything", but  it was part of a conversation, and as such may have lead to something useful. no way to tell.

i must say that i was mystified by the idea of the thread being censored. it is not common practice in most forums, and while my post perhaps was not very complimentary of the current state of PB, i see other posts that might be more likely candidates for removal, if such a thing happens.

zenrain
Quote:
but  it was part of a conversation, and as such may have lead to something useful. no way to tell.

True, it was an assumption on my part, sorry.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
NeoBrain

Quote:
i must say that i was mystified by the idea of the thread being censored. it is not common practice in most forums, and while my post perhaps was not very complimentary of the current state of PB, i see other posts that might be more likely candidates for removal, if such a thing happens.

So that is why my ears were burning. lol

I will say this, if my posts didn't get deleted yet, it may be safe to say that there is no censoring going on with these forums.  Although I did not quite use the same wording as you jmopish, I too am concerned with some points about this application.  I said my piece in those posts which accomplished nothing.

Out of all the Knowledge Management/Concept Mapping/However you want to classify this software, PersonalBrain resonated with me the best which is why I registered and posted on these forums.  But based on the posts from some users, I hesitate to commit the funds to buy a full license not to mention hesitating big time from committing my data.

Sincerely,

NeoBrain
zenrain
Quote:
 I said my piece in those posts which accomplished nothing.

Just wanted to bring up the point that developing software takes time. Unless it's a bug, it can take 6 months, a year, or more for suggestions to actually be incorporated (they usually save moderate and big changes to for the .5 or .0 releases).
They also generally don't discuss upcoming changes to the software unless it's about to be released, both for competitive purposes, and customer relations purposes - want to see a revolt in the forums? Promise people a feature, and then cut it due to constraints...

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jmopish
Quote:

"the abysmal performance of expanded  view, and user interface deficiencies with normal view in pb is why i  have drifted away from it."

we have acknowledged the problems with expanded view in another thread.  it could have been fixed for v.6. 

re: interface deficiencies, let me expand a bit. i like the various aspects of how PB helps me put info into the brain (suggesting existing thoughts, drag links and files, use of notes box, etc). where i think that it falls down is in dealing with the info after it is there.

search works great, but not being able to put thoughts where i want, open and close connected thoughts and have them stay that way, and the continual movement of thoughts is disconcerting (having dinner,  someone puts a bowl of salad on the table, and... whoa! where is my dinner plate? it just moved to the other end of the table!).  it is great to see connection between thoughts, a primary feature of PB, but having to re-orientate to thoughts moving to different places is a real waste of  mental energy.  all that animation and connections opening looks great in demos (it certainly impressed me), but in actual use it became tiresome. Someone apparently recognized the issue and created expanded view.  but, we have spoken of the problems with that.

not being able to control the number of thoughts on the screen. this is part of being able to open and close parent and child thoughts.

child thoughts from several thoughts sometimes all get clumped together. hard to tell which thought connects with which.

difficulty moving child thoughts from one parent to another. seemed like i had a choice between the existing parent and one other parent. if i wanted to move it to  a different parent, i needed a multistep process of making a new link and deleting the old link.

lack of outlining capabilities in notes.

inability to completely control size of notes field: limits on how narrow it can be.

PB has a calendar, which has alerts.  problem is,alerts only appear if PB is open on screen. ie, if i don't happen to working in PB at the moment, no alert.

there are other things, but without looking at PB Uservoice forum, i don't remember at the moment what they were. At first i saw PB being used as a home for much of what i do on the computer. but the lack of interface functionality reduced my expectations to perhaps being an index to where info is kept in other programs. maybe this was the developer intention all along.

pbnewbie
jmopish, i agree with you that censorship is alive and well on this forum, which is why I don't often post on it.

you and Cornan are right - even version 6 is an overpriced, underfeatured product. seems the developers are running scared and can't stand a word of criticism. unlike many other products, personalbrain has not one but three views, and each one suffers from major usability flaws that make it too frustrating to use for the average guy like me.

i'd be happy to upgrade to 6 if the developers would only build in decent link label functions, but it seems they haven't taken heed of users requests. No, give this bloatware away and change over to cmaptools, compendium or springpad.

NeoBrain

Zenrain,

I hear the point you are making and understand the time and effort needed for change to occur in an application but my comment was not meant in the way you took it.  I can see how the lack of further explanation on my part after making my comment may have led you to believe I was perhaps exhibiting impatience or frustration due to some unreasonable expectation of change after one or two posts in the forums.  Please let me clarify.

All the posts I have made has been within the current capabilities (that I am aware of) that PersonalBrain is capable of.  For the most part, my posts have been towards enhancing the stability of this application and its developmental direction in the realm of portability.  Now one may try to make the case that this or that is a feature request but I would argue to the contrary.  To date, I have brought three topics to the table.

1. The use of already built-in capabilities of PersonalBrain to enforce a maximum version of Java Runtime Environment to prevent what happened a few versions ago when Oracle made a change and caused the notes issue.  Matt responded to the suggestion by sighting that the thought had been considered in the past but was not going to be implemented.
  2. Enhance alpha and beta testing and slow down release cycles to ensure stability endangering bugs don't make people lose their data.  The whole thing about you can make some of the people happy some of the time but you can't make all of the people happy all the time won't fly for the people who depend on this application's stability to ensure data is not endangered.  Once you start to lose your customers trust then it becomes difficult to regain it.
  3. If you are going to release a portable version of PersonalBrain (a.k.a. Archive format without an installer) stay true to the nature of portability.  Keep the files and settings in the folder the application resides in.  If you want to get even fancier throw in your own distribution of Java Runtime Environment along with the application marrying suggestion #1 to seal the deal.  Another capability already supported within PersonalBrain.  How well that combination works in the many user scenarios out there is unknown as that has not been tested as I was told.

I know I am starting to sound like a broken record but to be honest, these aren't features I wish to suggest and magically have them be made real.  I am just voicing constructive feedback to whoever wishes to listen based on events that have happened or are happening on these forums.  When I said my posts had accomplished nothing I meant that even though I may be voicing valid points, the response to those points was less than heart warming and reassuring.  I have seen environments where a lot of unwise software choices have been made so one tends to develop an eye for emerging patterns.  Subtle as they may be.

Zenrain, you have been posting on these forums longer than I have so you know the situation better and I have seen how helpful you are with answering questions for people in need.  Just trying to do my part as well as I want this application to do well and prosper.

Sincerely,

NeoBrain
zenrain
Ah, thanks for taking the time to explain the context of your comment NeoBrain. It clarifies the point you were making, and I now understand where you are coming from.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software