borgtamer
When exporting to a SiteBrain:
  • the links no longer highlight when the mouse hovers over them
  • Thought icons are lost
  • Link labels are lost
How can I resolve these issues? I expect I will have to modify some HTML. However I don't know where. Has anyone done this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

zenrain
There is no way to highlight the links or carry over link labels when exporting to a sitebrain.
There is a way to add thought icons, but it's not easy.
In your sitebrain folder there is a ThoughtData folder. In there is a .xml file for each thought. Basically it is a snapshot of the plex when you are on that thought.
Since it's a snapshot, it shows all the visible thoughts on the plex, so the active thought, all children, parents and jump thoughts. Each thought has some code that displays like this:

<Tht id="19" name="1. Basics" icon="" color="" hint="" />

To add an icon, add the path in the icon="" section. This must be done for all thoughts in this view (or at least all thoughts with icons), and the icon paths don't transfer to any other .xml files (views), so you must go through each one and add the paths.

Automating this has been requested, but I haven't seen that it will be added in the near future.

Edit: For an excellent example of how the sitebrain can be customized, see Adathome's site here.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
borgtamer
zenrain wrote:
There is no way to highlight the links or carry over link labels when exporting to a sitebrain.
There is a way to add thought icons, but it's not easy.
In your sitebrain folder there is a ThoughtData folder. In there is a .xml file for each thought. Basically it is a snapshot of the plex when you are on that thought.
Since it's a snapshot, it shows all the visible thoughts on the plex, so the active thought, all children, parents and jump thoughts. Each thought has some code that displays like this:

<Tht id="19" name="1. Basics" icon="" color="" hint="" />

To add an icon, add the path in the icon="" section. This must be done for all thoughts in this view (or at least all thoughts with icons), and the icon paths don't transfer to any other .xml files (views), so you must go through each one and add the paths.

Automating this has been requested, but I haven't seen that it will be added in the near future.

Edit: For an excellent example of how the sitebrain can be customized, see Adathome's site here.

Zenrain,
Thanks for the response. However, I have seen several sites where the links do highlight. For example, http://www.kurzweilai.net/brain/frame.html?startThought=. I am wondering how they do it.

Borgtamer.
zenrain
I believe that site uses Brain EKP, PersonalBrain's industrial strength big brother.

I did take a look at the settings.js to make sure I didn't miss any settings, and I don't see anything to do with link highlighting. Sorry.

Edit: What's really strange is that TheBrain.com doesn't highlight either, but I also think that is generated by Brain EKP. Curiouser and curiouser...
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software