punkmonksf
Noticed tonight while pasting thoughts into my brain it as taking a long time. Checked the CPU usage and Java was consuming WAY too much memory.

I am running 10.5.3 and v 4.3.0.5. This does not happen on my other machine which is 64bit Intel and has the new Java install. This machine uses JSE 5.0. It is a 32-bit Intel machine.

Click image for larger version - Name: JavaProc.jpg, Views: 560, Size: 235.95 KB
punkmonksf
Further testing indicated that this is related to ESP on the Mac. Anytime I turn ESP on, any copy to clipboard throughout the OS bumps the PB application to use 100% or more of CPU.

This can be replicated on both of my Mac machines.

Launch Personal Brain. (v. 4.3.0.5
Open up a Terminal. Run top -u
Copy a paragraph or two of text from any app.
Bring Terminal to the front and watch the JavaApplication memory usage bump up. Click image for larger version - Name: JavaProc.jpg, Views: 483, Size: 235.95 KB
Harlan
Thanks for posting with screenshots. Unfortunately, this problem stems from the Mac OS Java implementation. I haven't tested it yet, but you might try Java 6.

Regards,
-Harlan
punkmonksf
Interestingly, it worked fine on all versions prior to 4.3.x. using Java 5.0 on the Mac. In fact, it was one of the more useful and fun features.

Likewise, It is not solved on the one machine I have which is Java 6 enabled. It continues to eat the CPU whether using Java SE 6 or Java 5.0

I would also suggest that to blame this on the Mac Java implementation which has worked perfectly well with this product up until v 4.3x, or to have inadvertently developed specifically for a newer version of Java than is supported (or will be supported) by 32-bit Intel machines will likely effectively kill off what Mac market you have for this product.

I, for one, could not at this stage of the game commit to buying a 64-bit Intel Mac just to get this program to function the way it is supposed to.

If you're telling me that future versions of this product were designed for a version of Java that is henceforth going to be unsupported for all but 64-bit Intel Macs, then the shelf life of this product for me has probably expired.

Harlan
I would be very surprised if this was actually a problem introduced by 4.3 since none of the code related to ESP has been modified since version 4.0.7.2. Can you verify that is not happening with 4.1?

As far as I know, this problem only affects the ESP Sync portion of the software and can be avoided simply by disabling the clipboard monitoring. Do you consider ESP Sync to be a key part of why you use PersonalBrain? Based on user feedback, for most people, this is a relatively minor feature that is seldom if ever used.

Unfortunately, since the problem is based on how Apple has implemented Java on their various platforms of Mac OS, there is very little we can do about it. Short of a major rewrite that does not use Java, our only option in cases like these is to appeal to Apple to fix the problem.

Finally, please keep in mind that this version of PB is still in beta. If you would prefer not to experience unexpected behaviour that even we may not have seen before it is best to stick with the official release.

We are doing our best to support as wide an audience as we can with as much functionality as possible. In fact, within the last 6 months we even re-introduced support for Mac OS 10.3 (previously 10.4 was required). That said, we can't guarantee that everything will work on every platform. If this was a requirement, we simply wouldn't be able to introduce features that push the envelope to anyone. We're simply taking advantage of the strengths of each as best we can.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software