mctrexler
We have a massive Brain with a ton of IP focused on climate change risk issues.  We want to commercialize a version of that Brain which will mean stripping the problematic IP in the web-based version.  That stripping will mean deleting thousands of PDFs, and thousands of thought icons. 

Simple enough, but we'll then want to update both of the Brains in parallel going forward. Does anyone have thoughts on how to most easily do that updating process?

Ideally I'm thinking we'll just want to copy new thoughts in the Master Brain. But if we have to copy the thoughts to which the new thoughts are linked, that will get problematic since we don't want to copy the attachments and thought icons that are still present in the Master Brain. If you copy a thought that is linked to two parents, but don't copy the two parent thoughts, will the copied thought link itself to the same two parents in the new Brain when pasted in there? 

This could turn into a logistical nightmare, which is why I'm curious what brilliant tips and tricks Brainiacs out there might have. 

Thanks,

Mark
mctrexler
A followup note on this.  I thought about doing what's described above with the privacy filter, so people accessing a web-based version of the Brain would only see what we wanted them to see.  But that won't work because there are really three versions of the Brain in play:

1.  The public subscription version
2.  The "almost complete" version that would be accessible to researchers or others needing access to the IP, but still not seeing "private" thoughts that involve confidential or personal information.
3.  The "complete" Brain.

If #2 weren't necessary the privacy filter might work differentiate #1 and #3.  But since we need these three versions, that's why I've been assuming we have to create two separate but substantially overlapping Brains. 

Mark
zenrain
I've done something similar but on a smaller scale. The workflow I came up with was:
First, designate a brain as the primary brain. In this case it would be the one with the IP information.

I created the secondary brain by copying all the relevant thoughts from the primary brain to a new brain. In my case it was because there are a lot of additional thoughts in my primary that I didn't want copied over. If most of the thoughts needed to be copied I would have just restored a brainzip to a different location, changed the brain name and assigned it a new GUID (File > Utilities).
I did this so the thoughts all have the same GUID, so when I copy thoughts that exist in both databases from the primary to the secondary brain they will overwrite the existing thought and keep the structure of the primary brain, rather than creating a separate thought.

I make the majority of my changes or additional thoughts in the primary brain. I try and keep the information flow one way as much as possible, otherwise it gets more complex.

When I go through adding or modifying thoughts in the primary brain that need to go to the secondary one I add a tag (I use copy). Then after there are enough changes or new thoughts I activate the tag, select all the children and copy the thoughts.
I then open the secondary brain and paste the thoughts. I follow the prompts and overwrite thoughts/tags/links so the changes appear. Then I activate the copy tag in the secondary brain and go through each thought and remove any information I don't want in there. As I check the thoughts, I remove the tag until they are all verified.
Finally I go back to my primary brain and remove the tag from all the thoughts and start again.

I do have a few thoughts in the secondary brain that are unique, but since I don't need to port them over they never change.

When overwriting thoughts, it does keep the same parent (as long as you started by duplicating the brain or copying the thoughts) and if a parent exists in the primary but not the secondary, if it's not copied it won't be added. However, if you copy the parent at a later time, it will be linked correctly in the new database (as far as I remember, I don't do this very often).

Hope this helps.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mctrexler
Thanks Zenrain.  That's similar to how I was conceiving it but hadn't worked through all of those steps, so that's helpful. I'll do some testing on this, but if the same parent exists in both Brains, and I add and copy a new child from the primary Brain to the secondary Brain, will it link to the parent thought in the secondary Brain even if I don't copy the parent thought?  The reason it's important is that the parent thought in the primary brain will still have IP (an attached PDF) and it would be a pain to have to go through each time and remove that IP just in order to add the new child thought in the secondary brain. 

Mark
zenrain
Yes, when creating a new thought, if it's linked to a parent that exists in both the primary and secondary brain it will link to the parent, even when copying just that thought (not the parent).

One thing to be aware of when pasting thoughts is for some reason, one thought will always be added as a child of the active thought. I think I get around this by activating the copy tag before I paste them in the secondary brain. Ok, mainly I forget and just end up deleting the link... [biggrin]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mbaas
I had a client with a smiliar challenge and what we did was to use tags to flag "paid content". The content is updated continously for the commercial version whereas the free version is created every 6wks or so with the following procedure: unzip brain to different location, select "paid content"-thoughts and delete 'em, ready.
It's slightly painful, because performance is not best when dealing with massive amounts of thoughts, but it works...;-)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software