zenrain
If anyone uses Keyboard Maestro, I'm attaching a macro you may find useful. 

If you are in Safari and press a hotkey (I have it set to ⌘ + ⌥ + ⇧ + B):
  • If the Brain is open it will activate it and paste the url into the Brain using the title of the page as the thought name 
  • If the Brain isn't open it will first open it and then paste the URL etc.
  • If you have text in the webpage selected (only select one paragraph or less, otherwise the line break will mess things up), it will add that text into the notes.
  • It will then go back to Safari.
It does this using the import outline feature in TheBrain to add the Thought Name, Title and notes. It's pretty darned quick if you already have TheBrain open.

I've tested this with TheBrain 8. Play around with it (I'd recommend in your test database at first) to see if you may need to make adjustments.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
purdisc
Thanks for this Zenrain -

Finally having a keyboard shortcut to enter urls into my Brain should speed things up enormously for me. Still can't work out why it's one shortcut that isn't built in.

One question however: is there a reason why I wouldn't be able to alter your macro to make it work on Chrome? I haven't looked closely at Keyboard Maestro yet but I couldn't see anything obvious which wouldn't allow this.

Best

JohnP
zenrain
Yes, you can replace %SafariTitle% and %SafariURL% with %ChromeTitle% and %ChromeURL%.

Also, I forgot to mention. I put this in a group that is only active for the Safari Application (so the keybinding wouldn't affect other applications). I'd recommend doing the same thing for Chrome.

At some point I'm probably going to to a regex search in the clipboard contents for line breaks and add a - before them. This way it should be able to handle selecting text with paragraph breaks. Currently if you select more than one paragraph in the web page it will create a second thought with the text from the other paragraph as the name.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
purdisc
Thanks for that zen rain. I will try it out.

Best

JohnP
danlandrum
Thanks Zenrain. This works well. I'm building a few more KM macros. It's a bit hard to tell KM what to do without knowing via the TB menus what is, or isn't, showing on the screen. Is it just the Mac version that's like this? For instance, I can us command-m and others to open the notes, etc. and move focus, but I haven't seen any way to close this without clicking the four-arrow icon in the top right of the screen. Am I missing something?

Dan

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
zenrain
No, I'm not aware of a way to close a window (like the notes window) using a menu item or shortcut (like ⌘-w would for normal windows). Drives me a little crazy. I'm guessing this is because it's a Java application. [frown]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
danlandrum
The following Keyboard Maestro macro seems to work consistently for toggling bottom pane state.

Activate TheBrain
Click at (-11,68) from the Front Window’s Top Right Corner

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
danlandrum
I'm using command-option w for the above KM macro (the one that toggles the notes/control pane)

I'm using shift-command-option-w for the macro below. It closes the selection window by clicking the close "x".

Type the Escape Keystroke
Click at (135,84) from the Front Window’s Top Left Corner

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
zenrain
Quote:
Type the Escape Keystroke
Click at (135,84) from the Front Window’s Top Left Corner

Great, thanks for this!
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software