danlandrum

I'm about to enter my tenth year as a TheBrain user, having started with version 5. I just spent a couple of days doing major pruning in TB10. I love it! It is rock solid and intuitive (Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2, Late 2015 iMac). Sure, I can come up with other things I wish it could do, but I'm a happy camper. Using GTD terminology, most of what I do in TheBrain happens above the runway, though for some tasks it is also the perfect tool. 

Every use-case is different, but for me it helps to not see TheBrain as a file manager. I use DEVONthink Pro Office for that, and it excels in this purpose. If I need a file to be in TheBrain, I just drag it in from DEVONthink. The file conversions that DEVONthink does are indispensable for getting useful text documents that display well in the TheBrain. I sometimes link back to DEVONthink Groups, or include clickable Table of Contents text documents to point to more complex file collections.

I also don't use TheBrain for daily task management; I use OmniFocus for that. Managing big picture project management in TheBrain makes OmniFocus much more effective.

Lastly, I don't use TheBrain to create mindmaps, though I do often use the mindmap view when working. If I need to design a static mindmap, I use the excellent iThoughts.

I don't know if this post will help anyone, but I just wanted to share that while the road has had its bumps, sticking with TheBrain has paid off in a great deal of mental peace. Thanks to the team. 

I'm attaching an image of my top-level thoughts. My TheBrain time generally starts here, or the search field.
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 8.09.06 AM.png 

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
ruudhein
Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
sticking with TheBrain has paid off in a great deal of mental peace

I've come to think this is true of most software, most systems, most setups. 

In my case one of the tools I've used for the longest time, excluding email, is Evernote. It, too, has had a bumpy road, still features oddities reported years ago, or lacks features asked for for years. But the simple fact of me using it since 2005 means it is a rich trove of information, like a Google search engine for my personal life. Something I can trust on.

I've taken a sabbatical from TB, but with v10 the familiar *click* of "yes, this works; yes, I recognize this" was immediately there again. Jumping back in was easy and natural.

I've spent the past year updating TB daily with older information, and it's now as rich as my Evernote setup albeit in a different way.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | PrintFriendly | TheBrain v10.0.50.0

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software