mbaas
After getting the latest update and restarting, TB started that "Updating TheBrain" process 2 or 3hrs ago. Is that to be expected? Can I safely interrupt that process?
metta
Unfortunately, this problem with updating occurs quite frequently with new versions of TB10 -- and yes, you can interrupt the process. However, this will probably abort the update and you may need to initiate it again.

If you are unable to update to the current version, you may simply want to wait to see if the next version of TB10 will update more easily. When I updated to TB10.0.38 I ran into so many bugs (related to my anti-virus program), it made TB10 virtually unusable.

In addition, there has been a display change in TB10.0.38 which, for some of us, has been quite undesirable.
mbaas
Thanks! I went ahead and shut it down, restarted - and it opened w/o complaints immediately. Now finding out what to say about the display-changes ;-)
Cerebrum
I have tried twice and got stuck on "Updating TheBrain". 
Tried it on my other computer. Same problem. Both computers running latest version of Windows 10.
Still on TB 10.0.36.0.
mcaton
mbass and Cerebrum - what build numbers are you trying to install? I'm happy to send you a direct link for manually updating.

Thanks,
Matt
Cerebrum
I've tried 10.0.37 and 10.0.38. (Beta and Alpha update channels.)
No problem downloading.
In both cases the installation gets stuck on "Updating TheBrain".
ruudhein
This is a long standing issue of which it has been remarked that all setups are different, so....

On Windows the download goes to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp\TheBrain\Updates

You can download, tell TB not to update, close it, navigate to that folder, and run the installer there. Works cleanly.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | PrintFriendly | TheBrain v11.0.28.0

(Windows 10)
Cerebrum
ruudhein, thanks!

Worked fine with 10.0.37.
I then decided to try 10.0.38 despite some negative comments in the forum about the new text rendering. The installation got stuck but, after ending the task and launching TB, I now have the latest version.
mbaas
10.0.39 just repeats the problem. This is demotivating, don't think I'm gonna waste more time on upgrading.
PaddyVA
ruudhein wrote:
This is a long standing issue of which it has been remarked that all setups are different, so....

On Windows the download goes to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp\TheBrain\Updates

You can download, tell TB not to update, close it, navigate to that folder, and run the installer there. Works cleanly.

YUP!  Has happened several times to me that update fails to complete; most recently, with update from 37 to 39, then again today with 39 to 40.

Thanks, Ruudhein, for your tip; works perfectly.  I put a shortcut on my desktop to that file location for future use, since apparently it's going to keep happening.  Alternatively to fixing it, at least, would be nice to have a download link when new updates are noticed in the Forum; otherwise, in past, I've had to send email to support to get link, since the normal download link only does the most recent stable version.

BTW, when I updated to 40, just now, my Malwarebytes Pro popped up after it was completed and I tried to run it, and said it suspected ransomware had changed files; I told it to trust TB; that hadn't happened before ever on TB updates, including on the recent update from 37 to 39.

Pat
metta
@PaddyVA ~

FWIW, ever since the launch of TB9 I have had to tell my antivirus program (WebRoot) to allow TB10 with every single update.

Not sure why this can't be "one and done" ~ but each new update seems to be treated by WebRoot like an entirely new (unknown & suspicious) application.

Also agree: routinely providing a download link for the current update would certainly be nice since the forever updating problem apparently has not yet been resolved, at least for some users.
mdlynam
I've encountered the 'forever updating' problem, too.
I make no warranties on this--- proceed at your own risk.

Expanding on ruudhein's sound advice--- If you happen to have run a utility that deleted your temp files, you may still be able to find the installer.

The installer file can be found in your \ProgramData\Package Cache\ directory.  In that subdirectory, it's all registry references, but if you search Package Cache for TheBrain, one of the results should be the installer file you're looking for.
mcaton
We have not forgotten about this troubling Updating issue and we're in the process of taking a closer look.

Thanks,
Matt
mbaas
ruudhein wrote:

In my case of "nonstop-loading" (also from 39 to 40), I found that there was no such folder. - the Installers were put in c:\temp\TheBrain\Updates. Running it from there was a breeze ;-)

standekansas
I have been enduring this "updateing TheBrain" forever issue for some time and each time I finally just ignored the update. I signed up for this forum and used the ruudhein fix and it worked great.  Thank you.
SHG

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software