GerSch
In V9 there seems to be no limit of thought columns, or? 
mcaton
GerSch,

Correct, we've removed this optional setting from v9.  Was this a setting you utilized in v8?  

Thank you,
Matt
GerSch
In my standard font size now I have 10 columns, before in V8 I was used to work with 4 columns... :-(
Cerebrum
What is a "thought column"?
mcaton
GerSch,

I'll document a Max Columns feature request.  Below are:

2 Child Thought Columns
2.png 

4 Child Thought Columns

4.png 

Matt
GerSch
With 10 columns quite often it is hard to know what thought it is, because the visible thought name is too short, even when the thought names are simular. I must make a mouse-over or activate the thought to read the full thought name. This makes no fun, interrupts my work and I have to restructure my whole Brain in a way that I have not too much thoughts as child thoughts. A lot of work... :-(
Cerebrum
I have two columns and I don't see any way of changing that, other than playing around with thought spacing, text size and window size, and even then, the most that I get is four columns.
mcaton
Yes, v9 is setting the 'optimal' number of columns depending on many different variables (thought size, real estate, etc.) as you have mentioned.

GerSch,

I'd be interested in seeing a screenshot if you'd be willing to share.  I'm guessing you have a large screen, high res in order to get to 10 child columns.

Thanks,
Matt
GerSch
2017.01.19_22h47m38s.png 
2017.01.19_22h41m54s.png 
Cerebrum
FWIW, now that I understand how it works, I created a sample brain and imported 200 items linked to the home thought.

At a resolution of 2560x1440, I get 16 columns at full screen, with middle text size and middle thought space, and with the Notes section hidden.
Strangely enough, if I display the Notes section as 1/6 of the screen on the right, I still have the same number of columns but the last three on the right are not visible unless I scroll.

If I reduce the text to minimum size (barely readable), I get 6 columns.
pshanks

I agree with GerSch about having control over the number of child columns, without it, it makes it hard to see the thought names.

You can see 12 child columns with my screen shot below.

Brain_01.jpg

Screen resoultion:
  Brain_02.jpg 

TheBrain 11.0.120.0, iOS V10.0.
Windows 10 (V19041), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.15.x
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

pthompson
Matt has already documented the request on limiting columns but, in the meantime, I feel like this is a great opportunity to bring up how important categorization and "gardening" your Brains is.

I'm sure everyone here knows, but we have a blog article on this very topic. We also hold a webinar at least once or twice a year on this. Even if it's as little as categorizing things into per year/month, etc., it makes a huge difference visually and, in my opinion, makes finding things and navigating a Brain so much easier. [wink]
zenrain
Quote:

Even if it's as little as categorizing things into per year/month, etc., it makes a huge difference visually and, in my opinion, makes finding things and navigating a Brain so much easier.

I was thinking the same thing. 

Also, when I find I have more than 15-20 thoughts under a parent I switch to Outline View. Or, depending on the circumstances, MindMap View works well also.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software