rhodes
The one thought context menu option which I really miss is the ability to link a non-active thought (NAT) to the active thought (AT) as a child/parent/jump using the mouse to select the thought, then a mouse click or accelerator key to link it.

This is the opposite of the Unlink option (which only works on a NAT). It would be a great timesaver to be able to bypass the selection box for this, reducing the number of steps from 4 to 1 (currently add to selection, focus on selection, Link As (child/parent/jump), finally close selection box.

Current ways of linking a NAT to the AT include (1) dragging the NAT to the appropriate sector of the plex around the AT, which only happens in Normal view and can be unreliable; (2) Adding the NAT to the selection box - there is an accelerator to link it, but it must be added first and the box closed afterwards; and (3) use Link Child/Parent/Jump, which requires typing the first few letters of the NAT name into the Create Child box instead of doing it all with just one click or keypress.

The current linking commands are great when linking several thoughts in the selection box to the AT in just one step, but I find myself just as often linking only one NAT, so it would make sense to have a separate set of "Link as Child", "Link as Parent" and "Link as Jump" in any Thought's context menu.

This would also allow us to perform this from any list of Thoughts, e.g., those in the Reports Pane - a big advantage.

This concept could be extended later to individual thoughts in the selection box's context menu, e.g., "Link current thought as child", etc., (where "current" means currently highlighted in the selection box) in addition to the group link options already there.

On the other hand, I rarely if ever use "Create duplicate child thought" on a NAT, only from the AT, so if everyone else feels the same about it, there's no need for it in the thought context menu. This option could be deleted from the context menu, but retained in the main Thought menu (Alt-T,D) to help make room for the above suggested "Link As..." options.

Apologize for being a bit long-winded here.
Alan Rhodes
zenrain
Currently I mouse-over the thought and use either the F6, F7, or F8 accelerator. From there I just have to enter the first few letters of the thought name, arrow down to choose it and hit enter.

I've pretty much ended up using these as my one stop shop for creating, or linking thoughts, especially after the ability to define the Thought Type and Tag from the same window if needed.

Adding this to the contextual menu would add three additional items (add as Jump, Parent, Child to Active Thought) to an already cluttered contextual menu, and if you are already using the mouse to navigate the menu, you could drag a link instead.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
rhodes
zenrain's method is #3 in my original post (above) and relies on the user remembering the key words in the name of the thought to be linked. Although it has the additional advantage that non-visible thoughts can also be linked in this way, I'm not always sure that the name of the thought appearing in the short list is the one I want to link until I activate it, so it can feel like searching for the thought all over again when all I want to do is link it!

Also it usually needs at least half a dozen characters typed in before the correct thought is identified; sometimes when there are two or three with very similar names it's easier to click the one you want or select it using the arrow keys and press Enter, all of which take extra steps, than keep typing more and more characters in the name until the correct one is selected. So it still needs extra fiddling.

As much as this may be the most convenient method for users such as yourself, I still feel that an alternative, direct method of linking is called for, one that doesn't require mouse dragging either, which in my experience doesn't always work correctly when the plex is crowded in Normal view, and certainly doesn't work in Outline or Expanded view.

As far as cluttering the context menu, for chrissake there are only 18 items in it already; it could easily accommodate another 3, particularly if "Create duplicate child thought" was removed. I fail to see why this particular option deserves a place on the thought context menu.

If saving space on the thought context menu is such a big deal, then leave them off  it and just have 3 new accelerators named "Link to active as child" (parent, jump) so users can hover over the NAT with one hand and press the accelerator with the other. This would inconvenience those who would like to do it from the context menu too, but if you wanted to, you could have just one menu option "Link as" with a submenu leading off it with 3 items, Child/Parent/Thought, though personally I dislike submenus.

If you like this suggestion, please vote for it here:
http://thebrain.uservoice.com/forums/4597-thebrain/suggestions/913321-link-directly-to-active-thought-from-context-menu
Alan Rhodes
zenrain
Quote:
zenrain's method is #3 in my original post (above) and relies on the user remembering the key words in the name of the thought to be linked.

Ah, sorry, missed that. 
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software