mikehawkes
Hi 

I've just downloaded the Brain 9 - is this online only? I deal with very sensitive data that can't go on an unknown 3rd party cloud - does the Brain 9 support local file mode, and if so, how do I set the location (I usually store each brain on an encrypted vault that I mount and unmount per client, so one set of client data can't ever interfere with another)?

Cheers
Mike
sibleyd
Files are local excel for Android version. If you don't want your files in the cloud just don't sync. You cannot avoid the possibility of an inadvertent sync by simply not purchasing that option.
mikehawkes
Good, thanks - that's a big relief. That does mean I can use the new version. How do I find out/change where the files are stored? As I mentioned I have each client's data on different encfs volumes that are only mounted when required. I can't seem to find an option to save a brain (9) file to a specific location.

Thanks in advance
zenrain
There is no option to change where the files are stored in the preview version. I believe I read in a post that this is planned for the release version, but I could be mistaken, and a quick search didn't turn up the post for me. 
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
Zen is correct.  No current option to select a unique/specific directory.  This is documented as a feature request for a future release.

Thank you,
Matt
korm
mcaton wrote:
Zen is correct.  No current option to select a unique/specific directory.  This is documented as a feature request for a future release.

Thank you,
Matt

Matt, I think a related aspect it would be useful to explain here are the plans for encryption: at rest, and in flight.
mikehawkes
Hmm. Ok, thanks. It's a breaker for me then for a couple of reasons:

1. I store brain files on encrypted vaults, mounted only for the duration of client work; and,
2. I run on a Mac Pro - small SSD, but with a 12TB external array - the internal SSD won't hold multiple client brains.

Some of the client data sets can be huge, and I need to maintain forensic isolation to avoid any chance of contamination. Can I symlink to a client drive (vault) and switch the links each time? Or will this break functionality?
mcaton
Currently your Brain files should not be moved from their default location.  But again, the request for specifying a unique directory is well documented and under review from the engineers.

Thank you,
Matt
mikehawkes
Ok, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software