bkonia
Currently, all tags are global, but I'd like to be able to assign tags that are local to a specific type.

For instance, suppose you have a type of "Person". There are various attributes you could assign to a Person instance, which would only make sense in the context of the Person type. Examples might be "Friend", "Neighbor", "Coworker", "Client", etc... These tags would never be used in any context other than a Person instance, so I don't want my global tag list cluttered up with irrelevant tags. I only want these tags to be visible when working with a Person instance.

I realize, in this example, the local tags could instead be sub-types of Person, but what if someone is both a Coworker and a Friend?  Sub-types are useful for creating rigid hierarchies, but tags are much more flexible. Another example might be instances of type Restaurant. When you're trying to decide where to eat, you may consider various criteria. What part of town is the restaurant in? What type of cuisine? What time of day are they open? So your Restaurant type could have local tags like Cuisine->Mexican, Cuisine->Italian, Location->Downtown, Good For->Brunch, Good For->Dinner, etc... You couldn't use sub-types because a restaurant may feature multiple cuisines and may be open for brunch, lunch and dinner, etc... Obviously, these tags only make sense for instances of type Restaurant You don't want to see various cuisines in your tag list when you're assigning tags to a project at work.

Local Type Tags could be visualized in the plex as children of type thoughts. If you create a tag as a child of a type thought, that tag would only be visible when working with instances of that type. And of course, this could be hierarchical, so you could create a hierarchy of tags under a type and the entire hierarchy would only be visible when working with instances of the type.
metta
@bkonia ~ As I understand it, tags can be assigned to thought types. Haven't tested this feature since I haven't had an immediate need for it, but I will now -- and perhaps you could see if this might meet your needs?

See also this potentially related feature request for "smart" tag nesting
bkonia
@metta, tags can be assigned to thought types, but that only allows you to filter the types by tags. It does not allow for filtering the tag list by type. Using my example above, if you assigned the Cuisine tag hierarchy to a Restaurant type, the tags would still be global. so all your cuisines would still show up any time you viewed your tag list, regardless of whether or not you're working with an instance of Restaurant.

My goal is to only show tags relevant to the active thought type. If you're working with a Project thought, you want the tag list to include items like Urgency, Client, Department, etc...It makes no sense to see a tag like Cuisine->Mexican in this context. Conversely, if you're working with a Restaurant thought, you don't want to see tags related to your business projects. Certainly, there are tags that could be relevant in any context, like "To Do", but these would be added as global tags ,not assigned to any specific type.
ruudhein
I wonder if simply collapsible tags (and types) would help you forward. It would help me; I find the tag & types lists a bit unruly the longer they get.

Maybe use types and tags as a top level, then use tags in the notes?

blah blah blah

tag:recipe tag:mexican
Using: Evernote | Filterize | Roam Research | Feedly | Save Page WE | TheBrain v11.0.91.0

(Windows 10)
bkonia
@ruudhein, collapsible tag hierarchies would be beneficial regardless, but that's really a separate issue. The reason your tag list is unruly is because you're viewing a long list of tags, most of which are unrelated to your active thought type. Wouldn't it be better if you could restrict your tag list to only showing tags relevant to the active thought?

The frustrating part for me is TB is soooooo close to being the perfect information organizer, yet it fails to make the obvious taxonomic connection between types and tags. The reason we have types is to define a set of attributes specific to each type. Certainly, the tag hierarchy should be considered an attribute of the type. 
metta
@bkonia ~ Thank you for your additional feedback and clarification. Is this the essence of what you are asking for?
Tags linked to, and only visible when managing, specific thought types

Or, is there an additional filtering/reporting option associated with your request that this summary does not capture? (Just trying to make sure I understand the full scope and nuance of your request.)

@ruudhein ~ I remember a feature request for the option of collapsing lists of nested tags has been mentioned previously. Thank you for mentioning it again. Definitely +1
bkonia
@metta, I think it's important to make a distinction between global tags and local tags. I'm not suggesting all tags should be associated with a type, only that we should have the option to associate a tag hierarchy with a type, such that the hierarchy is only visible when an instance of that type is active. Those tags would be considered local to that type. Perhaps a better summary might be:

Local tags, associated with a type, and only visible when an instance of the type is active.
metta
👍
zenrain
+1
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software