lunatrix
Is anyone else frustrated by the fact it takes a minimum of 15 seconds to open the brain? Or am I doing something wrong? (I have a MacBook Pro with plenty of grunt for everything else I want to do and no other apparent speed problems)

Another long term annoyance of mine (as a mac user) is that closing the brain window shuts down the whole program, giving me another 15 secs to wait next time I want to look something up. Cant we have a system like most other Mac programs where closing the window leaves the application active, and a deliberate quit is needed to actually quit?

I know I can minimise the window but
a) as a mac user I am totally habituated to closing a window when I have finished with it and quitting when I want to quit completely
and 
b) minimising seems to chew up a lot of computer energy, making my computer run hot.
fjgrijalva
"Is anyone else frustrated by the fact it takes a minimum of 15 seconds to open the brain?" 

It takes on average 2 1/2 minutes for my brain. I hope we are not isolated cases and the TB team will do something to reduce the delay

"b) minimising seems to chew up a lot of computer energy, making my computer run hot."

I have experienced this increase in temperature for a long time, it's really annoying but have learned to tolerate it.

Regards,
Fernando
PB 6.0.7.9 Pro - Win 7 Pro
J-1.7.0
25,000+ Thoughts; 155,000+ Links
user since 2000
kenwheeler77
Only 15 seconds for you?  You're lucky.  My brain takes at least 3-4 minutes to open up (and it's not even that big) which is a real pain when first turning on the computer and you're having to wait for the brain as it takes so long.
Steeph
It takes about 15 seconds for me as well, running from an SSD so that is fast enough and a 4 year old Core Duo with 4GB memory, shouldn't be problem either. I think this is the downside of Java, which is S L O W. Nothing much can be done about that.

That being said, if it takes minutes there is something wrong on your system and/or you are running on seriously old hardware.

Some things to check, BUT MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!
  • Clean up you're computer, empty temporary directories and such
  • Uninstall unused software
  • Make sure you have all OS updates installed
  • Check what software is automatically started during boot and remove and/or disable it if you don't need it
  • Update your virusscanner or switch to a faster one (ditch McAfee in any case) and make sure you're virus free
  • Uninstall all versions of Java and install the latest one again
  • Defrag your hard disk(s)
  • Install extra memory, 2 GB is fairly minimal these days
  • Perhaps a complete reinstall of the OS so you are sure it's clean and fast

PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software