cd

Hi,

i have a brain with a structure similar to this:

[main]:
  [notes]:
    [t1]:
      - notes (Small, usually 5-10 lines)
      [t1, all]:
        - notes (BIG, sometimes 10-20 A4 pages)
        - jumps to e.g. "t1, all, topic1" ... that have a parent of e.g. "definitions"
    [t2]:
      [t2, all]:

...

etc. up to about 240 children under "notes" (squarebrackets = thoughts) where some thought-names will be very long sometimes and getting longer even by using the "comma"-link technique.

Unfortunately, i have had to rebuild the database once and have been working on a successor of that ever since. After some time i found out that there are BROKEN THOUGHTLINKS (about 50 thoughts under "notes" and their corresponding children, NOT the jumps though) and LOST NOTES (of the unlinked thoughts, NOT the jumpthought notes) as far as I can tell but I'm still assessing the damage.

Once i figured this out, I found the 128-character bug reported elsewhere but as i can now safely reproduce the "unlinking & noteloosing" one also with an old brainzip that pre-dates the database-rebuilding just by re-building the db again, i need help debugging AND getting a merged version of the old and the new brain without inconsistencies. So..

I have compared xml-output of the original brain ("ORIG") and the database rebuilt and broken brain ("RBLD") and indeed the notes are completely missing w/i RBLD. I have done this by looking for one of the missing thought's GUID. ORIG has an <Entry> tag with the corresponding GUID while RBLD does not. An additional grep over the xml has brought up no notes-content and indeed the RBLD-xml has about 800K missing. That's the damage i'm looking at right now.

Unfortunately, i can't show the brain as it contains mainly copyrighted and private material. I'm working on a downsized version to see if the error can be reproduced on a smaller scale.

Any ideas on how to best proceed debugging AND MERGING my current with the old working brain would be greatly welcome!

Also: I did search for output.log/ error-logs but didn't find any. What am I missing?

Thanks,

chris

My config:

- Linux 2.6.28-11-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 27 09:00:52 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
- java version "1.6.0_14", Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_14-b08), Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode, sharing)
- PersonalBrain Pro Trial 5.5.2.0. Nov. 28, 2009.

-- 9.0.250.0 (9.0.250.0) on Mac OS X 10.12.6
   Old enough to remember Natrificial times...
Quote
cd

ok, i've downsized the brain to just one of the "mislinkedNoNotes"-thoughts and the close surrounding. I can safely reproduce the error every time i rebuild the database. I thought it was due to note-content maybe and took out the note of the corresponding thought, but that was not it apparently (possibly two bugs?, am checking). However, making a brainzip for you guys to see gets me nowhere as the error gets reproduced there upon importing. So its not only database rebuilding but creating a brainzip as well, that reproduces the error.

The funny thing is, if i just recreate a brain with the exact same thoughts/ thoughtnames/ tags combinations and rebuild the database, there is NO error. Also: If i re-create the links between the thoughts that have lost their links and restart database rebuilding, the error also does NOT appear this time around: the links remain. I don't really know how to go on, though will try one or two other things.

Regarding the note, it might be another issue, as once i took out the note b4 re-building the db and the error persisted, i left it out from then on, however, now that i have reduced the structure again to pin the error down and have reintroduced a note, the unlinking persists but the new note remains where it was and just the links are lost.

Well...

EDIT Mi 9. Dez 15:12:34 CET 2009: the notes do not get lost if i rebuild the search index before doing a db-rebuild.
I now have two brains that show the behavior both under windows xp sp3 and linux. /EDIT

-- 9.0.250.0 (9.0.250.0) on Mac OS X 10.12.6
   Old enough to remember Natrificial times...
Quote
Moe
Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting. We are running some tests to look further into the issue you have described. I will send you instructions necessary to merge your current Brain with the old Brain so that you can get back on track.

Best regards,
Moe


Quote
cd

Hi Moe,

thank you for looking into this! Did you get a copy of the mail i sent to service@thebrain.com? It contains a brain that is "faulty" w/ regard to the links. I have another one that loses notes but it's 50mb+ because of the included search index. Let me know if i can be of assistance. 

Again, thanks :-)

Regards
Chris

-- 9.0.250.0 (9.0.250.0) on Mac OS X 10.12.6
   Old enough to remember Natrificial times...
Quote
Moe
Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting. We have received your Brain and have been able to successfully replicate both problems (lost links and lost notes). We will keep you posted with our results.

Best regards,
Moe
.


Quote
cd

Glad to be of help and looking fwd to any news

Regards
chris

-- 9.0.250.0 (9.0.250.0) on Mac OS X 10.12.6
   Old enough to remember Natrificial times...
Quote

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software