shiiko
Have loved Personal Brain since v3 but have also grown to not be happy when it sucks-up all of my computer's resources while slowing down to a snails pace.  The clean slate relationship with the app is awesome, fast moving and creative, but just as one gets things organized for fast motion it then starts to bog down.   Thought that I had a good computer configuration because it never stressed (fans hissing) unless I was processing many photographs.   But now it hisses at me constantly with the slightest use of PB, just when I have setup one (500 Thought) database that rocks and I am looking for agility. 

Perhaps my current computer is deficient because it is not the latest, so I have been considering getting a new one.  Thinking of the top of the line MacBookPro with all the possible memory and accelerators that are available.  At about $4,000, its not cheap.  It literally would be an investment just so that I could improve on PB's performance.  But my concern and question is, is it enough? Should I be considering a desktop version mac with even more processing than the laptop (killing portability for performance)?  Harlan, what configuration do you use to test Mac in the shop?   

Or is it a Mac limitation with PB? That it will never be able to run without being gummy, no matter what.

Should I be considering buying a top-of-the line Windows laptop (don't even know what to call them now, its been so long since I have owned one) just to run PB?   Is that platform better for Personal Brain than OSX?   Harlan, what do you suggest as to a PC vs Mac configuration?   What PC configuration do you use?

The objective of this post is to get clarity of what gets the best performance for this performance intensive application.  My approach is different…what is the recommended configuration for, let's say, Power Brain Users?   

Cheers,

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

metta
Very good questions, shiiko.

I'll be following this discussion with great interest, since my older PC will either need to be replaced or upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in January of next year (when support for Win7 ends).
HansLentzen
Hi, shiiko,

I am an enthusiastic user of PB since version 4. Now, I am using TheBrain version 10.0.51.0. I have two "brains": one with 48,000 thoughts with internal and external attachments 7,000 files each. The other "brain" has 100,000 thoughts with internal and external attachments 20,000 files each. All my programs including TheBrain are running on my Mac Book Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14.6), processor Intel Core i7, speed 3.5 GHz, one processor, 16 GB memory, 1 TB flash without any problems. Daily use: about 10 hrs.

Best regards
hsscrm
I am having the same problem as shiiko. Even if I start with a brand new brain with a handful of thoughts, very quickly TB starts cranking up CPU usage to 100% and the user interface slows down and becomes laggy which makes TB frustrating to use - to the extent that I won't renew the subscription. 

Also, for this reason, I can't use TB on my laptop without a power supply it uses my normal 6 hour battery in just an hour or so.

I wonder how HansLentzen can have such a good experience and others such a bad one? 

TB 10.0.51 and up to date version of MacOS Mojave on a MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB memory
metta
@hsscrm and others ~

I don't know much about the inner workings of computers, but I'm wondering:
> Could the differences in RAM (along with the number of other resource intensive apps you are running) account, at least in part, for some of the differences in performance?

I, too, have puzzled over the fact that performance seems to vary so widely between users, and I will be interested in your and others' thoughts and feedback....
shiiko
HansLentzen wrote:
Hi, shiiko,

I am an enthusiastic user of PB since version 4. Now, I am using TheBrain version 10.0.51.0. I have two "brains": one with 48,000 thoughts with internal and external attachments 7,000 files each. The other "brain" has 100,000 thoughts with internal and external attachments 20,000 files each. All my programs including TheBrain are running on my Mac Book Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14.6), processor Intel Core i7, speed 3.5 GHz, one processor, 16 GB memory, 1 TB flash without any problems. Daily use: about 10 hrs.

Best regards

Would love to figure out why your performance is much better.   In the past I have had thousands of Thoughts but in my current case I only have 581 Thoughts with 919 Links, 397 Notes, 374 Web Links, Internal Filesize: 16MB.   The only way to work with this brain was to close everything possible through the Activity Monitor.   Was able to get things done without connecting to Safari but at times it wanted to drag.    Ofcourse on a day to day basis I cannot have anything closed except the PB.
kbunders
hsscrm wrote:

I wonder how HansLentzen can have such a good experience and others such a bad one? 

Great thread. I wonder too. I am in the subgroup of hissing fans and terrible performance on quite a strong laptop. No other application does that.

Does TB team has any idea? Will this be solved?
Not using TheBrain anymore. Switched to Roam Research.
HansLentzen
At first, it would be interesting to know how many users make good experiences, how many bad ones in terms of "terrible performance"
metta
For those who are interested, here is a current related discussion.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software