Harlan
9.0.82 is out now. See the details here.

Major new features include
  • Folder Attachments
  • New Add Attachment UI
  • Expandable Thought Properties
  • Expandable Create Thought Popup
  • Attachment Tabs User Interface
  • Arrange Thoughts by
  • Copy Local Thought URL
  • Search ranking shows recently used thoughts first
  • Direct Thought Deletion
Regards,
-Harlan
advisors
Testing. tx for the news.
advisors
As you know, 2L still doesn't sync :/
zenrain
Some feedback on this one.

1. I'm not sure what this says about me, but the first thing in the release notes that stood out to me was "Oooh, new text theme". Del Rey seems like Modern with more weight on the headlines. It's a nice addition and perhaps apropos of the singer and not the city. [smile] So in summary, I like what you are doing with the text themes, and hope the ... theme continues... Sorry. I couldn't resist.

2. The new attachment window. Something seems off about this, and I think it's the tabs. Its tabs within a page, which strikes me as weird, and they aren't square like the attachment tabs, they are in the same format as the view tabs. And the buttons below to open the folder, select the file or URL are flat.

I think the flat aesthetic fits better in the notes/attachments window, so perhaps make the tabs iOS style (latest version of iOS, not the older ones) muted buttons with a slightly darker color when selected?

Also, text and markdown files all appear as e-book in the templates list. So there's a lot o' e-book choices.

3. I like the dropdown for the Thought Properties and creation windows. I was going to say something about keyboard navigation, but realized it would be rather silly to put in navigation when the menus and UI is still in flux, so never mind. I'm sure it's driving you guys crazy more than us. [wink]

4. The folders implementation seems useful, but I haven't tested it fully yet. I'm sure I'll find use for it, and I like that clicking on the folder icon opens the folder. I'm easily amused. 

5. Nice job on the tab handling. Mouseover works well, although the wait seems to be a bit long for it to show at first. The button works well. A suggestion here, it would be nice for the window associated with the button to show the attachment information as well when the checkbox in settings to show Attachment info is checked.

6. Yaaaay local thought URLs.  [smile]

Update:

7: Ha! Smart idea to use icons rather then text for the search results. Also, thanks for putting notes results before attachments.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
perry
zenrain wrote:

2. The new attachment window. Something seems off about this, and I think it's the tabs. Its tabs within a page, which strikes me as weird, and they aren't square like the attachment tabs, they are in the same format as the view tabs. And the buttons below to open the folder, select the file or URL are flat.

I wouldn't mind if the two sections were in expandable list options.

Maybe there should be one layout for horizontal and vertical? The current tabs work better in horizontal but expandable list would work better in vertical (using the available space better)

zenrain wrote:
3. I like the dropdown for the Thought Properties and creation windows. I was going to say something about keyboard navigation, but realized it would be rather silly to put in navigation when the menus and UI is still in flux, so never mind. I'm sure it's driving you guys crazy more than us. [wink]

I like that they're sticky (i.e. open on this dialog and open on all)

zenrain wrote:
4. The folders implementation seems useful, but I haven't tested it fully yet. I'm sure I'll find use for it, and I like that clicking on the folder icon opens the folder. I'm easily amused.

I can't figure out how to add a folder [frown]

I added a folder as a child thought but it displayed nothing apart from an icon.

mctrexler
Some basic functionalities I can't find in .82:

1. How do I hide tags?  For the life of me can't find the spot.

2. There is a "Local URL" generator, but what about the "Web Thought URL?"

3.  Where do I find the Brain Statistics?

4.  Can't copy selection as Text Outline without Notes

5.  Set Selection Privacy Not Enabled

Thanks,

Mark

dkbeauchamp
Hooray for Arrange By! Now I start using 9 in earnest...
pthompson
mctrexler wrote:

1. How do I hide tags?  For the life of me can't find the spot.

Not possible yet, but this has been documented.

mctrexler wrote:

2. There is a "Local URL" generator, but what about the "Web Thought URL?"

This has not been implemented yet as there is no available web interface during testing. It will be coming.

mctrexler wrote:

3.  Where do I find the Brain Statistics?

Not implemented yet, but is written up as a feature request.

mctrexler wrote:

4.  Can't copy selection as Text Outline without Notes

This is already implemented when right-clicking in the selection area:

Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 2.07.37 PM.png 

mctrexler wrote:

5.  Set Selection Privacy Not Enabled

Yes, this is not implemented yet, as noted by the parenthesis in the context menu, which can be seen in the screenshot above.
mctrexler
Patrick, one clarification.  You can "copy as text outline with notes."  But I was referring to the "copy as text outline" which we have available in PB 8.  i.e. without notes.  

Thanks,

Mark
pthompson
Mark,

Sorry for the confusion. Simply copying Thoughts (Copy 6 Thoughts, in my screenshot above) should copy the Thoughts as a text outline. It appears this functionality has broken at some point. I'll make sure it is documented. Thanks.
wordmuse
Nice to see updates progressing.

The one thing I am waiting for - that I hope is kept from version 8 is the omnibox for creating and searching thoughts. I use it all the time in version 8. To not have it in version 9 will mean that I have to change from a super simple process of creating and then assigning links to creating under a parent and then disconnecting from the parent and then doing the assigning.

No big deal if I want to create one thought at a time. But I use the semicolon function and create upwards of 7 to 10 at a time.

Maybe I'm the only one who took advantage of that version 8 feature. If so, obviously the preferences of one user can reasonably be ignored. But if I'm not the only one, you might give this some serious thought before junking such a useful feature.

My 2cents.
- Bal
DrBop
+1 for:
Quote:
the omnibox for creating and searching thoughts.

I miss this in V9 as well and hope for its return...
pthompson
wordmuse wrote:
Nice to see updates progressing.

The one thing I am waiting for - that I hope is kept from version 8 is the omnibox for creating and searching thoughts. I use it all the time in version 8. To not have it in version 9 will mean that I have to change from a super simple process of creating and then assigning links to creating under a parent and then disconnecting from the parent and then doing the assigning.

No big deal if I want to create one thought at a time. But I use the semicolon function and create upwards of 7 to 10 at a time.

Maybe I'm the only one who took advantage of that version 8 feature. If so, obviously the preferences of one user can reasonably be ignored. But if I'm not the only one, you might give this some serious thought before junking such a useful feature.

My 2cents.
- Bal

This definitely is written up so we should likely see it implemented eventually. Thanks for your continued testing.
zenrain
+ 1 to the thought creation from the search window, I'm finding I'm missing it more also.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software