DavidGretzschel

So with TB11 having added support for the alt-modifier and this was very much my personal wish being fulfilled.
And I'm very grateful for that, so I'll be showing why I wanted all that space in the first place.
From my estimate TB11 has less than 300 commands.
16 categories some having almost 20, some only less than 5. A good upper bound for the average is 15, so I figure it can't be more than 20*15=300.
There are seven modifiers now available:
ctrl, ctrl+shift, ctrl+alt, ctrl+alt+shift, alt+shift, ctrl+alt and alt.
For each modifiers there's 26 letters, 10 numbers, ~10 F-keys (generously rounded down, because of system-reserved things like alt+F4) and maybe 10ish special characters for use in assigning shortcuts.
So that's about 55 commands we can put on each modifier.
So there's actually room for 7*55 = 385 keys. And that's already pretty neat of course.

The idea isn't to figure out a layout for all of them and mnemorize them, because that would be hard and I don't want to do it.
Instead I'm going to preconfigure my StreamDeck XL (an incredibly convenient 32-button keypad, with each button being a little display) to have each command-category in a seperate folder and just systematically going thru the shortcut-list and assigning them in order.
Then I'm going to add a little icon to each, so that it actually looks friendly.
(gonna be picking royalty-free-ones)
And then I'm going to make that StreamDeck profile for the two people on Earth, who happen to have a StreamDeck XL and run "TheBrain 11" 🙂
This sounds probably a bit abstract, so I'll be showing it off, once it's done.
And I shall have it be done by next Tuesday (cause it's a bit of work and not wanting to be a liar will help me actually sit down and slug thru the boring parts).

edit: this belongs to "TheBrain Uses", rather than How-To, I think. Please move there.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

DavidGretzschel
All right, I got it done.
I will not bother with setting Icons for this, because it's too much work and I don't want to do it.
At least not by Tuesday. Maybe I'll do it, when I feel like it.
So if you're using TheBrain11 (TB10 would probably work, too, but I haven't tested that) and have a StreamDeck Xl lying around
or needed one more reason to shell out the ~250 Euros/Dollars/currency for it, then you can use it to have a lot more convenience using TB11.
Also highly recommended for the devs for testing all the commands.
It's still rough around the edges, but should be very useful nevertheless.
Over time, I'll clean it up and make some changes to make some things more convenient.
Also will probably start documenting this more, but it's self-explanatory for the most part (at least for those familiar with a StreamDeck).
Have fun and let me know, how you like it.

https://github.com/DavidGretzschel/TB11-StreamDeck-XL/blob/master/README.md

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

mcaton
David,

Cool! Thanks for sharing.

Matt
mattgyverlee
Man, I wish I had the money to sink into one of those.
DavidGretzschel

@mattgyverlee 

Can you really afford not to have one 😉

(I mean.... probably, it's not a magical problem solving device, but another tool that has to be learnt.

But it's a powerful tool and one that's easy to learn. It's the reason why I don't have to bother with using AHK nearly as much.)

--
---
---

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software